Import duty from Taiwan??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mxs

Car
ML320 CDI Sport
I am getting a new grille off FLEABAY and was wondering if I will have to pay import duty/tax when the grille is coming from Taiwan?

Anybody got information regarding this query?

Depends what the sender has marked on the package and how picky HMRC want to be. I've had loads of stuff come from abroad always marked "gift" and never had to pay any duty.

Depends what the sender has marked on the package and how picky HMRC want to be. I've had loads of stuff come from abroad always marked "gift" and never had to pay any duty.

Thanks Pammy!

A case of 'wait and see'

Does this 'Gift' idea work with UPS? I sent an item to the USA for repair, on the Customs form it clearly stated Item being returned following warranty repair, but the delivery driver would not hand it over until I paid the 'Import duty' stipulated by UPS :mad: :mad: :mad: I had to pay and then claim the money pack. Never used UPS since.

John the anti UPS man

ups did the same with me on some actual commercial samples from the us :( hey ho

I am getting a new grille off FLEABAY and was wondering if I will have to pay import duty/tax when the grille is coming from Taiwan?

Do let us know. I am also looking at a grille from Taiwan, same guy probably.

Import tariffs are extraordinarily complex and archaic, the Customs & Excise "handbook" looks like 4 closely typed telephone directories!

Officially the tariff will be based on what you are bringing in to the country.

So look up table for Taiwan/Car Parts
Crucially are these sold as new or second-hand? Second-hand parts attract a lower rate (even if the seller just declares them as used).

Unofficially if there is a "trade war" over the item/source (i.e. China is making imports more attractive by eliminating sales tax on exporting goods and could damage the economy) there is a higher rate.

Take this % rate
Take the UK converted cost of item + shipping
Multiply total cost by % rate

Now would the item attract VAT in the UK?

If so add 17.5% to your working total

(For Taiwainese car parts new say about 6% tariff)

Next is the item being shipped via a company that has prepayment arrangements with HM IR&CE - FedEx, UPS etc.
If so they will have done the calculations and added a % handling fee and you WILL get charged this, either at the doorstep or by invoice (usually but not always) before it is released to you.

If it is coming by post it will arrive at one of the postal import points in the UK and may/may not be chargeable depending on how the labelling is interpreted (this is a swings and roundabouts arrangemnt, you may "get away" with a duty free import once but your friend may buy exactly the same item and have to pay).

See how simple it all is :)

Worst scenario is about ((Price paid incl. shipping)x1.06)x1.175)
+ handling charge - £10 + depending on service used.

:eek: Where is that HMRC number.......

" ...thank you for calling HMRC .... to shop pammy please press 5 .... "

You are such meanies :devil: :devil: :D Why do people always want to get me into trouble :eek: :eek:

You are such meanies :devil: :devil: :D Why do people always want to get me into trouble :eek: :eek:
:D :D I wonder if a certain blue little donkey will ever get quarantined or ambushed by HM Customs? :devil: :D

Regards
John

Just spoke to my dad about this as he has just retired from said HMRC (Customs really) and he said... " You can put whatever you like on the parcel. It does not make any difference nowadays as everyone and their dog tries this 'gift' approach". " You may be lucky, you may not. It depends on what officers are on duty and how busy they want to be.."

I guess pot luck then.

Well the grille arrived yesterday - it took a week to arrive which I am quite impressed with! Also pleased with the fact that I did not have to pay any import duty etc... It took a few minutes to change the star from the old grille over to the new one, placed new grille onto the car.

Very pleased with the result, it gives the car a 'newer' look - and some confused & admiring glances from fellow SLK owners!

£150 well spent I think.

:rock:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom