Import from Channel Islands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMG-Al

Car
CLK55AMG (W208)
I was wondering if anyone has any advice/experience importing a vehicle from the CI, namely Jersey in this case. The car was 1st registered there in 1991 and has never been registered at any time in the UK.

Is it as straightforward as the seller is telling me -

"UK MOT first then certificate of export and car to local DVLA office, some paperwork and job done".

Sounds very straightforward :dk:

The only question I'd be asking is - Are there any VAT implications? As the car would have been supplied VAT free in the CI.

I think age etc has a bearing on this.

Scumbag can probably help on this.

Thanks.

Have had a read through C&E and can't see anything definitive. What a way to spend an afternoon..............:wallbash:

Sometimes I think they decide on some of the rules when they come to get ya!

I imported a used motorbike from Jersey - i needed the import papers confirming that the import duty and vat was paid then a trip to the DVLA office for registration. I had to take the bike to them for an inspection and i needed the certificate of conformity which i got from the manufacturer by fax, Saved myself thousands!

I imported a used motorbike from Jersey - i needed the import papers confirming that the import duty and vat was paid

As far as I can make out, if the car was 1st registered in Jersey then no vat or duty will have been paid.

I may have to declare the car at UK Customs, state a value, pay vat and duty to get the import papers to allow me to register it in the UK.

Is this what you did, or where did you get your import papers from? Had the bike previously been registered on the mainland before it went to Jersey?

Wow, I think i'm making this very complicated...... :eek:

I would be very surprised indeed if they wanted VAT paying on a 19 year old car?

That's more like the news I was needing...... :bannana:

Jersey Import

The certificate of conformity will cost you about £120 from Mercedes Benz I beleive the import duty is based on its current value and add VAT.

I have a chum in Guernsey who works at the main Dealer there (the only dealer!) - He's that chap that supplied the troll mobile to scumbag.

I've asked him about this issue before, i.e. How about selling me a car and me bringing it back to the mainland.....I'm sure He said as long as it was registered to an address in the island for 6 months it changed the status re vat......obviously I'd need to check the fine print.

As far as I can make out, if the car was 1st registered in Jersey then no vat or duty will have been paid.

I may have to declare the car at UK Customs, state a value, pay vat and duty to get the import papers to allow me to register it in the UK.

Is this what you did, or where did you get your import papers from? Had the bike previously been registered on the mainland before it went to Jersey?

Wow, I think i'm making this very complicated...... :eek:

It was a few years ago now, the bike was originally registered in Jersey, i had to declare the price paid for the bike (!!!ahem) to customs which they then calcutaed the import duty on. Whether or not i paid VAT i'm not sure. But the customs papers are needed along with the cert of conformity (which in my instance Kawasaki sent me for free) and that was pretty much it.

I trusted the seller and paid up front without seeing it (was only a year old), he put it on the ferry and i picked it up at Portsmouth:D. I phoned the local police station in Jersey to check that the VRN was genuine and that it wasn't nicked and they were really helpful (didn't seem that they had much to do and were happy for the phonecall!).

Good luck, its an easy way to save a few bob.

PS I think the VRN stayed in Jersey so the bike came in without plates - i insured it on the VIN which most insurance companies are ok to do for a short period.

Don't overlook the fact that any car from the Channel Islands will have had mostly short trips and may never have got up to speed/temperature associated with a healthy car.

When I imported my classic car from Sweden (it was 22 yrs old at the time) it was classed as too old for certificate of conformity and no vat applicable as it had been regged for at least 6 months before I bought it.

The best is to speak to DVLA and get them to send you their import info pack. It tells you everything and have all the docs etc.

Yup, for a vehicle this old that appears to be the case. I will contact a DVLA human on Tuesday just to confirm.

Thanks all, again. :thumb:

I hope you will document all of the steps you took on your venture. I would be very happy to give it a good read.

Yup, for a vehicle this old that appears to be the case. I will contact a DVLA human on Tuesday just to confirm.

Thanks all, again. :thumb:

When I went through all the paperwork, it seemed quite daunting! But in the end, very easy. Completed forms, insurance (insurance should be done on the VIN number as no registration number!), MOT certificate, DVLA will insist on seeing some proof of de-reg from wherever you buy it - all original forms.

Once they accept paperwork, duly pay the tax and wait a few days = you will receive the reg number/cert in the post and off you go. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom