Import VAT, customs duty etc from USA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V12

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI LWB
I'm looking to buy a MOST ipod adapter from Singapore.
It's listed at half the price I can get it for over here - £160 with £20 postage.
It is second hand (don't know whether that matters or it's just the value that things are calculated on.

HMRC website is a minefield and i have no clue what applies to what...

So, basically, how much duty etc will I end up paying?

VAT= 20% - that's easy

To find out if there is any import duty on top you need the commodity code of the item itself - http://tariff.businesslink.gov.uk/tariff-bl/mainMenu

I don't thing electronics attract much duty so it may be another 5% or so.

It could be something like this:-

http://tariff.businesslink.gov.uk/t...dditionalCode2=&additionalCode3=&countryCode=

in which case it attracts 3.7% duty.

Then remember if it's courier they may charge an administration fee - UPS charge £10 or so to administer the VAT.

Last edited:
^ or commercial sample

That's the easy (read fraudulent) way to get round it.

The problem is that creates insurance issues of the package goes astray.

There are various previous threads on this. IIRC the VAT and duty are applied to the shipping too (i.e. the total invoice value).

A handling fee of £10 or so is pretty standard. The import process also delays the parcel a bit.

There are various previous threads on this. IIRC the VAT and duty are applied to the shipping too (i.e. the total invoice value).

A handling fee of £10 or so is pretty standard. The import process also delays the parcel a bit.

Duty and vat should only be applied to the item cost as long as shipping is clearly displayed as a separate cost.

Duty and vat should only be applied to the item cost as long as shipping is clearly displayed as a separate cost.

The import VAT percentage rate is applied to the total value of the goods. In the case of goods brought in this is the sterling equivalent of the price paid abroad, as shown on the receipt. In the case of goods posted from outside the EU, it is the amount on the Customs Declaration, which includes the price paid for the goods, the cost of transport, postage and packing, insurance and any duty that may be payable.

HM Revenue & Customs: Customs Duty, Excise Duty and Import VAT: introduction

So you do pay VAT on top of the shipping, insurance and customs duty.

The most important thing is to ensure you pay by credit card (automatic? insurance? >£100? but check T&C's re this and international purchases after first getting email confirmation that the item is undamaged and has not been repaired or refurbed in any way. Despatch by tracked and insured mail only. Personally, I would be nervous about buying something from so far away.

So worst way with 5% + 20% + £10, I could be looking at £236.80.

Best case it gets through as a gift.

2nd best it comes through at 3.7% + 20% and they don't charge a handling fee or percentage on the delivery = £199.11.

I think either way it's still loads cheaper than buying over here.

Thanks for the speedy input.

I get a fair few bits shipped over to me from outside the EU, generally (if it isn't marked up as a gift/sample) then 20% gets added on to the entire invoice/declared value of the package once converted in to GBP (if it is marked in USD). Some shipping companies add a "handling fee" as has been mentioned and this can vary, but usually around £10-15.

Generally for larger packets of goods I have them shipped as samples with a menial (but in a way realistic) value, don't get much hassle this way or get a surcharge, I have the proper documentation posted out to me separately just to be safe :)

Personally, I would be nervous about buying something from so far away.

Funny I've actually never considered that.

I have stuff arriving every 14 to 28 days or so From Guangzhou (not far north of Hong Kong). Used to buy from India as well. As long as it's insured and you know who is responsible for what and when it's not an issue.

For some strange reason I thought it was in the US, checked after posting and managed to edit the post but not the title! Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom