Imported cars and legroom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al8565

Hi, would anyone know if Mercs made for the Japanese market have less front legroom than equivalent cars made for other markets? I've sat in some imported W124's (and W202 stationwagon) and thought the legroom wasn't what I was expecting for a large German car. I live in NZ so imported cars are plenty and cheap. Thanks....

I think it's very unlikely that the position of the firewall will be different across continents, but it's more likely that different seats and runners could have been used.

I would have thought unlikely - I am sure the Japanese driver likes his/her legroom as much as any of us!

I had an imported Toyota Celica and it was no different to my mates UK spec one. But then I imagine they were made in the same country!

Thanks for the quick responses. Could be different runners, but maybe they are all the same. Just me.

I know a Nissan from the UK definitely has more legroom than a Japanese built one, maybe extra legroom for rear passengers. I had a Primera in the UK, but a japanese Primera imported here was really short on the legroom. I'm tall so maybe overly wary of these things.
Thanks again.

Seems to be variable - my imported Civic has plenty of room for a 6'2 prop forward and enough legroom behind me for normal people, so it must seem like a limo for the Japanese.

I know a Nissan from the UK definitely has more legroom than a Japanese built one, maybe extra legroom for rear passengers. I had a Primera in the UK, but a japanese Primera imported here was really short on the legroom. I'm tall so maybe overly wary of these things.
Thanks again.

I have also noticed that those Japanese made umbrellas are much shorter than English ones - I have noticed on numerous occasion how much closer to the ground they are....

;)

I'm 99.99999% sure that W124 seats in Japanese cars are the same as the UK ones.

The Japanese w124s use the same seats but the pedals are slightly different.

PedalMates%20-%20Jeep%20Patriot.jpg

:D

Must have been one of the options ;-) These are the last thing I need.

Fortunately excellent legroom in the W202's, more than the W124's I'd say. Only an Avensis or Falcon would get near it for legroom.

Actually I'm 100% sure, it was more of a disclaimer :D

not sure about w124 but on w 202 there are a lot of differences. the seats,the rear seat are fold down,radios are different,water pumps are different,boot locks,ac control unit etc.
the japanese market variants ccome standard with more options,and some of those options are not available elsewhere.if not mistaken the w202 for japan were assembled in singapore and for the rest of the world southafrica

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom