Importing goods from China?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V12

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI LWB
I am looking to bring in a couple of pallets of goods from China and could do with talking to anyone with first hand experience.

I have previously had a box or two of a few hundred small items come in.

First question is whether I should let them arrange shipping or whether I should look into it myself?
Their quote looks quite high but where can I look to get a quote myself from this end?

I have look up the import codes and I am expecting to pay 4.5% + 20% but they is a hazard symbol at the end of the item that indicates that importation of this item may be prohibited.
I can't seem to find anywhere that gives me more information on this. Google is just not helping today!

Any pointers would be appreciated.

You need firstly to identify the correct TARIC code for the items you are importing. Ths can be a minefield as there are thousands and depends on raw materials origin etc, and you many need help from an experenced Customs Clearance Agent. Secondly make sure there are no additional 'export tariffs' from the Chinese Govt. I nearly got caught on this, as they stuck 15% on timber exports a few years ago when they were short on timber to build the empty cities across the county!

I my experience the supplier can usually arrange shipping at a better rate (for small shipments of less than a container). They will not be insured though, that is your responsibility, and adds a not insignificant sum. Once it reaches our shores you will need your own Customs Clearance agent to do the paperwork, and once the fees are paid the goods will be released for collection.

The biggest problem, and a good friend of mine imports hundreds of containers each year will attest to, is that you often do not receive goods of the same quality, dimensions etc. as the samples you may have seen. Not all companies are the same, but he is very wary when dealing with a new company. One case in point, he bought several thousand brooms and dustpan and brush sets after seeing full sized quality products, and when they arrived they were less than half the size of the samples.

You have to take a lot on trust, but the rewards can be great. Also do some research here at home. If you have found a moneyspinner, chances are that others have too.

If it's small quantities (less than a container - i.e. a few pallets) look at DHL pallets. They have a drop-shipping service, will deal with customs et.al..

Probably the least stressing shipment I've seen from China - my father exports hundreds of containers annually (mainly wheelbarrows). He finds that the only way to ensure that the goods you receive are what you are paying for is to fly out (or have someone there) check them before loading. Similarly, payment terms are important - 50% on checked delivery is not uncommon.

M.

You need firstly to identify the correct TARIC code for the items you are importing. Ths can be a minefield as there are thousands and depends on raw materials origin etc, and you many need help from an experenced Customs Clearance Agent. Secondly make sure there are no additional 'export tariffs' from the Chinese Govt. I nearly got caught on this, as they stuck 15% on timber exports a few years ago when they were short on timber to build the empty cities across the county!

I my experience the supplier can usually arrange shipping at a better rate (for small shipments of less than a container). They will not be insured though, that is your responsibility, and adds a not insignificant sum. Once it reaches our shores you will need your own Customs Clearance agent to do the paperwork, and once the fees are paid the goods will be released for collection.
I too would find a UK shipping and customs agent and let them do all the work for you as they have access to the ship details and quick customs clearance.
Having goods stuck in customs awaiting release can be costly. Even if they just don't release them quickly you have to pay.

Let the sender find a shipper from their end as they are used to doing it, then use their UK handler.

Last edited:
Quality is the biggest issue with chinese goods. For every bona fide factory making goods to a decent standard there are a hundred really appalling manufacturers making products which are substandard and often dangerous. If you a dealing with an agent in China that is not known to you , there is a very good chance that you will land up with a load of unsaleable items. You need to be aware that exporters there frequently buy products from a multitude of sources , of varying and questionable quality. If you are buying "branded" goods , unless you deal direct with the manufacturer , you will most likely be buying cheap counterfeit . Best if you have a chat with an experienced importer . I know of people that have made a lot of money from Chinese imports , and others that have lost a fortune doing the same. Beware!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom