Impressed by fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
A couple of weeks ago I drove down to Croatia again.

I do this annually so quite used to the journey. My W124CE did the journey in just over three tanks of fuel. My W123 in 5 tanks of fuel and my motorcycle in 6 tanks of fuel.

This year I did the journey in my wifes S60 and we did the entire journey in just a little over one tank of Diesel. (80 litres to be precise) The car was loaded to the gills and and I wasnt hanging about.

Uber impressed I have to say. :bannana:

The wife's still out there with the car, so I'll be flying back out in a couple of weeks to pick her and the car up again to drive back to blighty. Tempted to drive a little slower on the return leg and see if I can do it without stopping for gas at all.

A Volvo S60?
Although by driving slower, you may get back faster as you'll probably save more time by not stopping for fuel, snacks, getting everyone back on board etc.

Tempted to drive a little slower on the return leg and see if I can do it without stopping for gas at all.

Diesel is cheaper, just in France.

So a Calais fill up would be a good move mate.;)

yep the very same model. (I assume yours is also an SE variant)

We bought it only a couple of months ago after much research. Ours is slightly younger and with less mileage but was a smige over £5k which is an absolute steal compared to anything else on the market.

Only gripes are the awful steering lock, overly firm suspension and very poor rear visibility. (all of which takes a bit of getting used to). If you have 17" rims, you'll probably find the tyre rubs on the inside front inner arch despite its poor turning circle. (they all do that sir)

Overall we're very pleased with it so far and its going to become the main family transport but the wife and I both agree that the W124CE is still a better drive in many respects. Partly because there's no three pointed star on the front.

Last edited:
The Volvo D5 engine is very good. Strong.

When it came out it had 163 Bhp. After a couple of years on sale and some modifications, Volvo increased the Torque and Bhp to 185. The 163 bhp version still exsists but have been renamed "2.4D".

I was quite pleased this weekend with fuel consumption. took the new BMW 330d on a drive to scotland and back, and got 52.4mpg out of it. not bad for a 3l car with 231bhp!

okay, it wasn't an exciting ride as I stuck it on cruise control at seventy all the way up, but still a respectable result. of course my daily drive mpg ain't that but hey,

I was quite pleased this weekend with fuel consumption. took the new BMW 330d on a drive to scotland and back, and got 52.4mpg out of it. not bad for a 3l car with 231bhp!

okay, it wasn't an exciting ride as I stuck it on cruise control at seventy all the way up, but still a respectable result. of course my daily drive mpg ain't that but hey,

Thats better than my 140bhp E class :devil:. Just wait for the new twin turbo 4 clyinder engine :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom