Improvements in 2001 facelifted ML's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zed

Hello everyone, I am considering buying an ML 270 and just wondered if they had appreciably improved the quality of build on the post 2001 facelifted models. As most people will know they have faired quite badly in most reviews, namely the JD power surveys. I just need to be confident that the improvements are more than skin deep.

TIA.

I think it's fair to say that the facelift was an improvement, and the later the model the better - especially if you can afford one that has warranty remaining.

I think the reputation is probably worse than reality in many cases, and as with any prestige car, you either need deep pockets, or be handy with a spanner if things go wrong.

With regards to reputation, in recent years it hasn't exactly been a darling of the press, as the more recent SUVs like X5, XC90, Touareg have moved the game on and shifted expectations. It was actually relatively well received when it was launched.

Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks, I've just sold my E320 CDI, 2000 and although the ride quality and performance were fantastic the build quality was the worst of any car I've owned previously.

I must have had one of the worst protected cars ever as there was corrosion appearing everywhere, bonnet, boot, doors, arches. In comparison, I've also just sold my weekend car, a 1994 Toyota Supra twin turbo and in 3 1/2 years not 1 single thing went wrong and the paint looked as new. Anyway, it seems these issues were widespread on mercs of this age and I don't wan't to suffer the same on my next purchase.

I'm in no rush so will do lots of reading and veiwing of vehicles before committing.

Thanks.

My view is buy one if it is cheap enough to make sense and has had the expensive work done to it already (e.g. new cats, new discs and pads). Otherwise I think you're better off buying something else.

Having said that some of them are going so cheap now they have been hit harder by their reputation than they really deserve.

My family had two ML270's, a pre-facelift bought in 1999 and a facelift model from 2001 - both bought brand new. The facelift model was light years ahead of the other in terms of build quality, fit and finish, and reliability.

Having said that, in my opinion the ML still fell short of how a Mercedes-Benz should feel, but hey, that's just my two pence. :)

If you're going to buy an ML, definitely buy a facelift one.

After owning the E class you will be dissapointed with the ride an feel of the ML...... Go test one.

Best to spend a few more ££££ and get an X5.

Sorry, once bitten and all that !

Simon

Cheers everyone, I'm also considering the X5 despite the fact will likely be about 5k more. The fact that the ML has a 7 seat option was the primary factor for considering it ahead of the X5.

I wasn't planning on making the purchase till around February so I'll see how prices fair then.

Cheers.

Facelifted ML's are great, we've recently purchased a ML320 with the family pack. The 7 seat option is the main reason we got it too. Surpsiringly useful the third row of seats, we will often take 7 adults out in it (although not for long distances!)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom