Improving brake pedal feel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Horrgakx

Car
Audi S4 B9
The best brake pedal feel I've driven would be either that of a Caterham or my mate's Ferrari 430. Compare my W210 AMG to those and it's like pressing my foot into a couch.

My brake pedal moves a good way before anything happens (it's done the same before and after a service so I don't think it's air in the system). Even my Mrs' Honda Civic has a better pedal feel.

Should it be like this? If so is it possible to improve the pedal feel by way of modification?

The best pedal improvement I ever had on my cars was to fit Goodridge braided hoses to replace all the rubber flexy pipes. I have to say though that this was on old cars with no abs or stability programs at all. No idea if it would be a good idea on your sophisticated car.

Olly fitted Goodyear braided hoses to the CL and there is a slight improvement to the MB spongy brakes syndrome.

Spongy brakes yep! First Mercedes I have owned had it for a year now. All good except for spongy brakes spoils car for me. New discs at front new Mercedes pads all round 10 months ago still spongy fluid change few weeks back still spongy !!! My indy says nothing wrong and car stops safe passed mot fine but dont think I can live with it. Are all W203s the same???

All MB's are the same.

It's not so much spongy, more that there's a lot of pedal travel before the brakes are applied.
Anyone know if AMG fitted braided hoses or rubber?

Rubber i think.

Hi,
They fitted rubber hoses.
I have always thought the brakes on my 43 (brakes are the same as your E55) were pants compared to my C230K.
I have replaced all hoses with Goodridge, new MB discs all round, with red EBC pads on the front.
I am still dissappointed in the way that they feel, I have read that the pedal feels this way because of the characteristics of the BAS system that is fitted on my 43 and your 55 and most if not all MB's since approx. 1997.

I guess excess pedal travel is apart of it too. Just too much to feel 100% happy with it. Living with the awful W203 suspension despite new upper front suspension arms and genuine rear shocks (ouch£££!) Still lifts me on a long fast drive south or up to Scotland but just running around........

the dead pedal feel, is designed that way on all MB cars.
when I had my goodridge braided lines put on my car, my mechanic also bled the brake system to remove all air bubbles.
there is no better improvement in braking while driving at normal speed.
maybe the braking improves when driving more performance like and those braided lines doesn't expand under heavy braking.

my car uses the factory Jurid pads and these sukkers bite like a pitbull!
but they dust alot!
so I had them changed to Porterfields R4s streetpads from USA and these pads are more slippery before the warm up.
they don't have the same bite as my Jurid pads.
but they dust less and that was what I wanted cleaner rims.
everything is a compromise when it comes to brakeparts.

Hmmm, I don't find my 203 too bad.
My 202 used to be a bit spongy at times but 2 year fluid flush seemed to help.

Have to say I'm happy with my 203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom