Improving Harmon Kardon System

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoAMG

Car
CLS63 AMG
As you may know, I've recently taken delivery of my new CLS63. The car comes with the HK sound system as standard. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of turning down the B&O upgrade because boy does this HK system sound crap!

The treble and mid range aren't too bad but the bass and the lower frequencies are simply, non-existent. If you crank the volume up, even the slightest bit, the (subwoofer) starts to produce distorted frequencies that ruin the whole experience. Which leads me on to my questions and the reason for starting this thread, has anyone attempted to address this problem? If so, what was done?

ash59fifty-uk said:
You tried editing the levels in the equaliser function?
Yes, I'm having to dial back the bass in order to turn up the volume without the subwoofer distorting... But that means I get subjected to listening to bass-less music which is, quite frankly, boring! :wallbash:

Last edited:
Ask MB to check it out under warranty. Surely the system should be much better than you describe. Could be a fault somewhere.

TheFoX said:
Ask MB to check it out under warranty. Surely the system should be much better than you describe. Could be a fault somewhere.
I heard the same levels of subwoofer distortion in another new MB (E63) though so I don't think there's something particularly wrong with my car?

I have HK in my C63 .I can't say the bass is lacking .Granted,it's not earth moving but very acceptable indeed . Saying that , I guess everything is relative - if you're used to running 2 15 inch JBL in your previous car , most factory installed systems will sound rather light in the bass department .
I have also found the source material makes a difference and also the recording quality .

jotter22 said:
I think command online do an upgrade. Tony.
I had a brief conversation with them this morning and they've referred me back to MB stating that "Any rattle from the speakers is unacceptable".

MrPoseidon said:
I have HK in my C63 .I can't say the bass is lacking .Granted,it's not earth moving but very acceptable indeed . Saying that , I guess everything is relative - if you're used to running 2 15 inch JBL in your previous car , most factory installed systems will sound rather light in the bass department . I have also found the source material makes a difference and also the recording quality .
Have you ever had a rattle from the speakers? Especially the subwoofer?

Sorry Mo , speed read you OP and missed that bit .

You are 100% correct , there is something wrong and hopefully they will quicklly fix it and you can start pumping out the tunes . :)

It is really bad form to deliver a car of such value ,in fact any car , with an issue like that .

I will be updating the woeful HK in my '13 E63. New speakers, replacement amplifier and sound processor (which I had removed from my last MB). OP is correct - bass is poor, though I think mid-range is actually worse.

Unplug the HK sub and hear the mids improve dramatically.

My theory is that the amp runs out of steam in the power transformer section and as soon as you unplug the sub it can then divert all that power to giving decent mids.
The depth of the sound improves a lot, despite unplugging the sub.

I've tried this in a few MBs now and each has been massively improved. Some of the newer cars will have the mids heavily filtered at the amp stage, diverting bass away towards the sub.

Aftermarket amp and sub and the whole setup is then passable, instead of laughably bad as they leave the factory.

I installed DAB and the whole system sounds like a new setup inc the bass!

MrPoseidon said:
Sorry Mo , speed read you OP and missed that bit . You are 100% correct , there is something wrong and hopefully they will quicklly fix it and you can start pumping out the tunes . :) It is really bad form to deliver a car of such value ,in fact any car , with an issue like that .
I agree. I've raised the issue with MBUK and I'm awaiting their response. I don't feel that I should have to incur any financial cost in order to rectify something that simply shouldn't have made it through QC!

V12 said:
Unplug the HK sub and hear the mids improve dramatically. My theory is that the amp runs out of steam in the power transformer section and as soon as you unplug the sub it can then divert all that power to giving decent mids. The depth of the sound improves a lot, despite unplugging the sub. I've tried this in a few MBs now and each has been massively improved. Some of the newer cars will have the mids heavily filtered at the amp stage, diverting bass away towards the sub. Aftermarket amp and sub and the whole setup is then passable, instead of laughably bad as they leave the factory.
I'm inclined to agree. If unplugging the subwoofer improves the sound quality from the other speakers, then it definitely sounds like an amp problem.

Update - word from the dealership (Sandown Group) is they have formally accepted my rejection of the vehicle. Claiming that they were unable to negotiate on a compromise and this was the only remaining option.

Now I have two options:

1- place another order on an AMG

2- go back to the dark side... RS

Thoughts please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom