Improving MPG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Kia E-Niro ex C 200 CDI Sport
I had a trip up to Warwick and back yesterday to collect a new lens for my camera. Toddled along with the cruise control most of the time at 70mph. This was what the trip computer was showing when I got back, not sure if I believe it though judging by the position of the needle on the guage, I shall have to wait and see when I next refuel.

This is the best that I have seen since getting the car 18 months ago, perhaps the few long runs I've done has loosened it up a bit, now at 26,000

MercMPG.jpg

I'm jealous....my current car only gives 40mph.....I miss the days of +50mpg.

ps. were you in the old camera shop just off Market Square?.....not sure I've ever seen a customer in inside.

40mph !! that's a slow car :D No I didn't visit any camera shops, it was a private purchase.

Been experimenting with speed and economy over the last few months.

Get around 47mpg with cruise set at 70mph, but setting to 60mph brings things up to around 54mpg. These figures are based on fill to fill rather than the OBD, which under reads by about 0.7mpg.

Drove 300 odd miles mostly down the motorway but with 20 mile twisties at the end, was in no rush so set the cruise to 50mph and enjoyed a relaxing drive. The car showed 62.5mpg on the downward journey and 58mpg on the way back (through the wind and rain). That's an average of about 61mpg taking into account the under estimation of the computer.

Very, very impressive for a big auto estate.

Regards, Neil

I find the shed returns 40mpg at 80mph and 44-46mpg at 70. So you get a 10% drop in efficiency for a >10% increase in speed.

Diesels work best between 1600-2200rpm so its wise to keep a cruising speed within that rev band.

I find 50mpg attainable from the shed, but its painful, 45mpg I am happy with on a gentle NSL all the way run. For very fast driving, anything over 25mpg is a bonus

I like the fact in my bus the fuel generally goes up even if I'm having a bit of fun compared to the ML which I owned and could watch the fuel guage drop as you pressed the accelerator pedal.

45mpg is pretty easy ay sensible speeds. 40mpg if bobing on, 28mpg towing and loaded.

All in all pretty good for such a large and capable car.

60mpg from the S212 sounds great !!!

I drove around the southern side of the M25 a few weeks ago, from Corringham to home (Sunbury), which is virtually motorway door to door. I was a little low of fuel so set the cruise control to just under 55. As I approached the end of the slip road off the M3 at Sunbury, the computicle display ticked over to 70.0 mpg :bannana:

^ sounds similar to my dad (in the car I currently own) he had the space saver on from the channel tunnel to home in Cheshire and the range when he filled up said 1000 miles.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom