Improving mpg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jediblade

Car
w211 E320cdi
Whats the best way to improve the mpg on my W211 E320 Cdi, chipping, re-map or as a colleague suggested changing fuel and air filter often?

make sure your thermostat is operating at the correct temperature - it should be rock steady at around 90 degrees C on the gauge - if,on the motorway, it drifts down to 80 or below it needs changing -if you don't change it, your mpg will suffer by around 10% or so. A new part is relatively cheap at around £50 and will pay for itself very quickly -the actual thermostat should be stamped for 92 deg C - I have heard of mapping and chipping maybe helping but I don't bother. As for frequent changing of the filters more frequently than recommended, the only one I'd consider changing more frequently is the air filter, but only in harsh conditions.

I am watching this thread with interest as i am sure a lot of people are.

Yup. Falling that ditch the town and hit the motorway!

Check your tyre pressure regularly!
If its been a while get a 4 wheel alignment.
Its all friction, scrubbing the tyres takes energy!

Thermostat, tyre pressures and a gentle right foot.

Seriously, you can chip it all you want but your driving style will have more effect on mpg than everything else put together.

make sure the brakes are not binding.

It is important that pads are taken out annually to clean brake dust/crud off them and to lubricate the sliding edges with copper grease.

Hardly ever done in my experience.

As a test, jack front wheels and turn by hand to see if revolving freely.

You will likely be disappointed with your findings.

Cruise at a slower speed, avoid the brakes as much as possible by looking ahead, keeping distance and absorbing changes in traffic speed.

37054d1371193048-can-done-if-you-try-61-4.jpg

Remember the real metric of concern is cost per journey, so if you have a shorter B-road route with worse economy than a longer motorway route, the worse-mpg route may still end up cheaper.

If your car is automatic, change down a gear on inclines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom