Improving MPGs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobMorris

Car
W210 E300 TD
Chaps

What can I do to improve the MPG on the W210 E300 TD?
Main driving is A13 at 60ish but I currently enjoy up to 60MPG in my Passat, and est 45 in the E300 - What can I do to increase it closer to 50MPGs?

Cheers

Get rid of the EGR system...and decat it....use some injector lubricator/cleaner....you will see a definite improvement....if you can get 45mpg from an OM606 in a W210 chassis,then you have some very diligent driving skills there.

Keep the speed closer to 50mph :(
Cruise control is your friend
Try optimax/ ultimate fuel
Ensure tyres not under inflated
Don't use your car as a store room (we're guilty of that)

i can do closer to 50, il just follow the trucks on my commute into Tilbury port.
If I decat - Would I need to keep the cat to swap over at MOT time?

Il do a full service, assume that will help with an extra MPG

What age Passat are you comparing it to?

i can do closer to 50, il just follow the trucks on my commute into Tilbury port.
If I decat - Would I need to keep the cat to swap over at MOT time?

Il do a full service, assume that will help with an extra MPG

Your pre-cats will be enough for the MOT emissions check.

i usually shy away from 'invasive surgery' and try and keep the car original...

modifying your driving habits is the single best way.

you will find driving at slower speeds especially during busy periods can quite often yield surprising results; when you find your self driving at a steady speed and not getting held up, and see you've caught up with cars that overtook you as they've had to slow down because of congestion anyhow...

(though i enjoy the occasional spirited drive lol)

i also avoid braking needlessly and take my foot off in anticipation... just looking at the mpg read-out shows how much difference this makes as compared to 'vroom and screech'. (so now it's vrooom followed by a nicely timed coast instead of braking)

i have also reduced my driving... by doing things like clubbing errands together and getting my bike out or strolling. that way overall fuel spend for the month comes right down which is what one is trying to achieve with the better mpg ;-)

Your first problem is that one engine is a 1.9 and the other a 3.0.

Your next problem is that it's only been the last few years that Mercedes have started to sort their mpg figures, whereas VAG cottoned on to this efficiency drive years ago.

I think the mpg figures that you're getting are good and besides a good service, I can't see a great deal extra that you could do. Besides run the E300 on chip fat....

As Riverstick said, get rid of the EGR and Cat, fit an EGT gauge, lose the engine driven fan and blank as much of the grille as you can.

45mpg from a 300TD is impressive, I would be very happy with that.

The problem with a 300TD is that it is deliberately under-geared, but changing the diff for a higher ratio means you would need the gearbox ECU reprogramming.

You don't need a cat on a diesel to pass an MOT.

Thanks all for your advices..
Il be going through each individually and will let you know the results.

Only ever drive downhill.

Happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom