Improving noise on my S63 coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cfoster

Car
W212 E350, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, W201 190e, 2019 Volvo V90 R Design, Mk5 Golf Gti
Picked up my 2014 S63 coupe a few days ago, LOVE it! Such a pretty thing to look at and the interior is nothing like i've seen before (came from a C63, then E63).

I would say the only drawback is that you can't hear the engine / exhaust noise inside due to the soundproofing etc.

I'm not overly interested in spending thousands on a full exhaust etc so would removing the centre resonators with a straight pipe be the piece to move to give me a louder noise? I think this was what I had done to the E63 estate I had?

You only have one set of cats, resonator in the middle and the then two silencers at the back.

The issue with removing the resonators, is that you will induce done, how much is acceptable is dependent on your requirements, but removing them will give more exhaust noise as well.

Ok great thanks, i'm quite sure it was the resonator in the centre I removed from my E63 (same engine as this S63) and was ok to me drone wise, given the S63 probably has more sound proofing it should be more than ok! Ideally I should leave the cats for MOT presumably and imagine removing the silencers would be super loud?!

Yes, the M157 E63 has the same exhaust setup, primary cats > X pipe/resonator > Silencers.

If you were happy with that, you should achieve the same result. Yes, no silencers will be super loud!

Ok great thanks, i'm quite sure it was the resonator in the centre I removed from my E63 (same engine as this S63) and was ok to me drone wise, given the S63 probably has more sound proofing it should be more than ok! Ideally I should leave the cats for MOT presumably and imagine removing the silencers would be super loud?!

I took the resonator out of my W212 E63 when I had it. It did result in a slight increase in noise which was initially what I was going for. However, if you look closely inside the resonator you'll see that there is a small balance pipe which is used for scavenging the exhaust gasses between cylinder banks so, ideally this should be put in the new pipework by means of an H pipe.

Removing the rear silencers will induce drone, I never had any problems with just the resonator removed. removing the cats is, as you state, an MOT failure. It will also cause the "check engine light" to come on unless you have it mapped out afterwards.

Great thank you, yes I remember the H pipe configuration and I just had Pipecraft put two straight pipes in (apparantly the pipes were made for a later C63) and they went straight on the E63. I looked into this H configuration and general conscencous was it wasn't overly necessary.

Hi I am new to this forum but I would like to share my latest upgrade.
I’ve just gutted my secondary cat on my w205 C63s.
Huge difference regarding exhaust tone all in a good way of course.
Such a cheap and easy fix but with great results would recommend this to anyone....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom