Improving sound quality on 210 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Hi All

I have a 96P E230 T which I really am quite fond of.

The last thing to fix is the sound quality, which is utter rubbish. I suspect the Audio 10 CD does not help much, nor does the fact that the speakers are now nearly 13 years old.

I would like to keep the Audio 10 CD because it looks OEM and fits in with the rest of the interior.

Any recommendation of speaker upgrades? I would like to use existing appertures and not have new speakers stick out all over the place.

If I can't have new and better speakers without a new head unit, recommendations for head units would also be appreciated. Would want one with MP3 capability.

Also, need recommendations on where to buy and install -- am in East London, and willing to travel around the M25 area for a well regarded outfit.

Really do not want to spend more than £500, much less if possible.

Thanks.

Must say the sound quality on my new CLK is pretty pants as well, but I don't fancy spending any money on it at all!!

Surely all you need is a bass-box in the boot ;)

S

Must say the sound quality on my new CLK is pretty pants as well, but I don't fancy spending any money on it at all!!

Surely all you need is a bass-box in the boot ;)

S

No, not really! I have two 12" Kenwood subwoofers in the boot of my w210 estate and when up loud, the other speakers really let the sound quality down. At least upgrade the fron main doors speakers, the tweeters should be ok for normal use.

I was surprised how much better the sound quality was in our ML after I swapped the Audio 10 for a Becker Mexico. I had been planning to upgrade the speakers as the sound was so poor compared to what I had expected, but after fitting the Becker I decided there was no need. Transformed the sound, which I wasn't expecting.

Hi All

I have a 96P E230 T which I really am quite fond of.

The last thing to fix is the sound quality, which is utter rubbish. I suspect the Audio 10 CD does not help much, nor does the fact that the speakers are now nearly 13 years old.

I would like to keep the Audio 10 CD because it looks OEM and fits in with the rest of the interior.

Any recommendation of speaker upgrades? I would like to use existing appertures and not have new speakers stick out all over the place.

If I can't have new and better speakers without a new head unit, recommendations for head units would also be appreciated. Would want one with MP3 capability.

Also, need recommendations on where to buy and install -- am in East London, and willing to travel around the M25 area for a well regarded outfit.

Really do not want to spend more than £500, much less if possible.

Thanks.

Change the head unit. If you want to stay OEM, go with COMAND. I didn't realise how bad a head unit the audio 10 is (and how decent the speakers are in the W210) until I upgraded to COMAND - suddenly I get a much much better sound, it's as if I have completely new speakers.

Have a read through my experience here:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/71979-my-new-comand-www-comand-co-uk.html

-simon

I must say that the Audio 10 is hopeless. How they ever came to the decision to install that unit in a MB is beyond me.

I thought I'd replace the headset and speakers but will now start with the headset and take it from there.

IIRC, the original unit in my MB Sprinter was better than the Audio 10. :crazy:

I like the aesthetics of the Audio 10 ..

And COMAND is too expensive an upgrade for a 12 year old runaround.

Maybe a non MB MP3 unit?

Even with the standard audio 20 in my w203, upgrading the speakers made a huge difference.
In my car I upgraded to the rainbow IQ line. Highly recommend rainbow speakers, but pretty sure any good quality replacements from pioneer, alpine, etc. with blow away the standard paper cone OE stuff.
Good HU with OE looks and MP3 & bluetooth = Becker (as already mentioned).

re e320 w210 estate speakers

Hi has anybody got a definitive source for the sizes of speakers in a 210 estate, non bose,..
I have looked for charts but are getting mixed messages as to what are correct sizes and whether adapters are need for dropping in pioneers or blaupunkts or whatever. The local dealers dont seem to keep their older charts now either

cheers
kh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom