In Car Camera Recorders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After trying a few different ones, I got myself this one: BlackVUE DR400G HD - In-car Full HD Camcorder - GPS Version - Taxi Security Camera - Vehicle Security Camera and am very pleased with it - excellent quality (much higher resolution than the one you're looking at); imprints the speed as well as date/time onto the frame, so when the file is viewed outside of the proprietary software, it still displays the car speed; excellent customer service from Novus (I fancied a second holder, so I can take the cam with me on a trip and stick it onto a hired car - no problem, was with me the very next day, with extra sticky pad), looks rather nice and completely hidden behind the rear view mirror. Has an option to install extra power management box to enable recording while parked (motion- and G-sensor activated) without draining the battery down to unsafe level - I decided against ordering it, and disabled the parking mode, but some might find it useful.

All in all - great camera, no negative points I can think of (once you disabled the slightly creepy voiceovers (in electronic Korean accent) for every operation) :thumb:

I wouldn't feel happy leaving either of those items in my car. Fair enough they might record an event while the car is parked but I suspect that event will be some chav breaking into the car to steal the camera.

Where I come from a dogcam is a little different - usually found in laybys and carparks :eek:.

Last edited:
I've also been thinking about one of these because the £200 or so they cost pales into insignificance compared to what your insurance premiums would do if you are the victim of a cash-for-crash accident and the other side starts changing their story and claiming whiplash etc after the event.

My wife had an accident outside her place of work a few years ago and luckily the security cameras outside the building captured the accident, so when the guy who ran into the back of her started claiming "phantom "cars and a whole lot of other lies as to why it happened - we sent a few still images from the camera and they soon shut him up!

Well it looks like the BlackVue is the leader at the mo!

Any more for anymore before I Flex the card! ;)

Not bad that Doc.

Having said that the import tax may kill it and warranty back up may prove fun!

Cheers Doc, looks well worth a punt then! :thumb:

I consider another Blackvue for the rear, and would buy from eBay again. Had no probs with the one fitted to the front as described in the post mentioned above. Get one!

I've just been supplied with a work iPhone 4S, and in combination with the excellent Witness Driving app now have an HD in-car recorder for just 69p plus the cost of a mount I butchered up from spare parts kicking about the garage.

I've not tried it at night yet, but the daytime quality from the iPhone's camera is superb: can easily read numberplates from a few car lengths away; sound, GPS and g-forces are recorded; and the phone is removed from the car anyway as I need it to be a phone as well. It's possible to mount in front of the rear view mirror so as to be almost invisible from the driver's seat.

When the Raspberry Pi team release their camera module I'll be building an equivalent with that, built into the car (either overhead console or underbonnet - haven't decided yet) and virtually invisible. Until that point, the phone app makes an excellent alternative.

Last edited:
Here's a still from this morning's commute, at 720p recording. I was driving towards the sun, so the sky was very bright hence the overall dark picture. Clearly there's some bugs in the app, as it shows an Audi with its direction indicator on. :p

Attachments

• witness.jpg
    witness.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 194
69p ^ has to be a good idea and you remove it like you say.

I would like a wireless camera to monitor to help me hook up the van.

Any ideas?

Problem with the witness driving eye app is it records your speed as well, so in the event of an accident if you were speeding then although the other party may be at fault you would have some contributory blame attributed to you.

I was advised by a motoring lawyer to get one that just records straight video or video and location, never speed or sound as it can be used against you :rolleyes:

My Volvo has front and rear video cameras the discreet ones can't be seen, I've just had my front one fail which was this type

oldincar.jpg

Both front and rear will now be replaced with this discreet camera and a bonus 2 of them for £60

newcam.jpg

Depends how sophisticated you want to go but these fit the bill for me.

Last edited:
Funnily enough my Blackvue rocked up Friday morning after I'd paid the £40 customs charge! :rolleyes:

Video etc is great but I have no sound despite it being enabled in the menu section.

Downloaded the latest Engrish software from the Pitasoft website but that's made no difference to the lack of sound.

Any ideas from peeps that have imported?

I can't tell you what's wrong, but mine works ok, albeit the sound is faint, and it's an import. Which model did you get (350 or 400 or..?), and what version software did you install?

Alfie is evaluating something at the moment, i'll get him to post the results !

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom