In Car Camera Recorders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't tell you what's wrong, but mine works ok, albeit the sound is faint, and it's an import. Which model did you get (350 or 400 or..?), and what version software did you install?

It's the DR400G-HD

Software version is 1.038-400E

Where can I get these from?

Nick Froome

They are all over e-bay at the moment just search "in car camera" the link to the one I've ordered from is below his communication was very good and he gave discount for 2 units.

LINKY

Last edited:
How does the advertised 2-3 sec delay/gap between each loop pan out?

How does the advertised 2-3 sec delay/gap between each loop pan out?

It's acceptable on the current camera it said 2-3 seconds and it is just short of 2 seconds, even the cameras that advertise continuous recording aren't there is still a gap whilst they write to the card. The more expensive ones really are continuous and overwrite the single file. I use 2 x bullet cams and a hard drive for our motorsport work but couldn't justify the cost of this set up for my road car. Statistically you would be very unlucky to be hit during the gap I currently minimise the risk of this by using 2 files of around 20 minutes each then that means out of every hour you only lose 4 - 6 seconds of footage.

They are all over e-bay at the moment just search "in car camera" the link to the one I've ordered from is below his communication was very good and he gave discount for 2 units.

LINKY

Let us know how you get on with this camera.

It's the DR400G-HD

Software version is 1.038-400E

Is that the viewer software or the firmware?
My firmware is 1.040-400E. The PC software is 1.038-400E..

In the BlackVue application, click on the i icon on the top bar and it displays both versions

Did you go through all the loops (I think I posted somewhere what to do) to upgrade the firmware?

The settings are fairly straightforward there is only one option for sound record (voice). I am recording in NTSC mode. Are you using BlackVue app to playback?

On the sd card, in \Blackvue\Config\Config.ini, is the parameter 'voicerecord' set to 0? [which equates to 'on'].

Yes I'm on 1.038-400E software and 1.040-400E Firmware.

However since my earlier posting I've seen a link on Pittasoft website for an updated Codec file which I've downloaded which may well solve the lack of sound.

Update done but not been out in the Car since and all existing files have been deleted.

I'm running 64 Bit Windows 7 if that makes a diff?

Will know for definite tomorrow!

Wifey has just come back from the shops so checked the SD card, still no sound at all despite the Codec download yesterday. :mad:

Have emailed a UK supplier to see if they have any ideas! :confused:

My thanks to Troon for the heads up on the 'Witness Driving' app, just downloaded and it seems ideal.

The settings on this App allow a setting of a loop of between 1 and 6minutes, it won't need much memory.

Up to now I had used my iPhone occasionally in the UK, always when abroad but until now, have not used a specific App. I just set the video recorder going with it on a suitable windscreen suction cup bracket. The usefulness was limited by memory available.

I can see that evidence of speed might be a problem - have clean license though!

Last edited:
Wifey has just come back from the shops so checked the SD card, still no sound at all despite the Codec download yesterday. :mad:

Question - what program are you using to view the video? If not VLC - try VLC...

M.

Hi Spinal,

Not sure what VLC is but I'm using what I assume everyone would use which is the Blackvue dedicated program that comes with the camera.

One thing which always happens when you start the program is a dialog box comes up stating "MapDB MFC Application has stopped working"

Seems this is something to do with program signatures, below is a screen grab of the extended details.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MapDB.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 4e44934f
Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
Fault Module Version: 9.0.8112.16447
Fault Module Timestamp: 4fc9d776
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 008f7950
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 4501
Additional Information 2: 45015e845bf368aa13e8da1b125d9ff4
Additional Information 3: 633e
Additional Information 4: 633e4b43453a2b14d888becdc3eb16c4

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

LINKY

Where would you put the rear facing camera? - are they waterproof?

sinewave said:

I'll be surprised if they come back with anything - they hate the eBay imports and Pittasoft are trying to stop them too. I'm happy to swap a file with you to see if it is your PC player or your camera? PM me if you want this.

I spun the line via email that I'd just bought the car with a Blackvue fitted! ;)

'Their' Tech support said I've done everything possible so it must be a faulty microphone or pcb etc so a swap out is the only option.

Emailed 'The Happy Embroiderer' (FFS! :rolleyes: ) and He/She replied swiftly offering a replacement or full refund.

Will probably go the refund route and get something from the UK instead, could have been a real hassle if the Korean ebayer had not played fair.

Spose I'll lose my £40 HMRC import tax but that's the risk you run when importing from Timbuktu! :rolleyes:

Where would you put the rear facing camera? - are they waterproof?

They are both interior cameras the front one sits below the rear view mirror, the rear one under the high level brake light on the estate hatch window, they just stick on with 3M pads. front and rear wired to 12v Accessory socket (front and rear respectively)

Camera writing to memory Card issues

One of the issues I have heard about these cameras is that they only actually write to the memory card intermittently - say every 6 minutes or so.

So... if you have a bad accident which cuts the power/dislodges the power cable then the last crucial 6 minutes are not recorded.

Has anyone checked with their cameras if you disconnect the power does it actually record you disconnecting the power or do you lose the whole previous segment?

One of the issues I have heard about these cameras is that they only actually write to the memory card intermittently - say every 6 minutes or so.

So... if you have a bad accident which cuts the power/dislodges the power cable then the last crucial 6 minutes are not recorded.

Has anyone checked with their cameras if you disconnect the power does it actually record you disconnecting the power or do you lose the whole previous segment?

They have built in rechargeable batteries to avoid this :thumb: pulled the plug on mine and it still carries on fine. I lose 6 secs per hour whilst it writes to the card

I would suggest looking for one of the 808 Cam's you can find on ebay. I paid from memory about £20 and it records in 720p and saves directly to micro SDHC card.
Make sure you get one that saves in 1280 x 720 MOV format, the 1280 x 960 are just upscaled 640 x 480 and nowhere as good quality.
Mine is a keyfob design one and can be stuck behind the rearview mirror or on the dash, as well as plugged into a USB 12v adaptor if the battery is low.

They have built in rechargeable batteries to avoid this :thumb: pulled the plug on mine and it still carries on fine. I lose 6 secs per hour whilst it writes to the card

Is that this camera you are talking about? - does it have the little rechargeable battery to ensure none of the recording is lost before it can write to the card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom