In car cameras ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
I am thinking of fitting a small camera to the rvm with some means of recording the images on some sort of memory card set up.

Problem is im not enough of a computer geek to know what i need:D

Reasons are many chiefly in the event of an accident i have evidence for my side, obviously if i am at fault then i have no evidence:).

Wife nearly got wiped out in her last car a mini one the argument went of for nearly a year before she won, video evidence would have shown the van driver was at fault and the case would have been settled very quickly and of course the other side cannot argue.

Now being a tight git and having 2 cars to do i dont want some sort of race set up just something simple and hopefully reasonably priced.

Any ideas for and against?

Lynall

Lynall, there was a camera that recorded live image on Maplin a little while ago, it was recording on a loop. I'll see if I can find it.
Olivier

I have the Maplin one - the quality isn't the best...

I just got an ActionCam as a present. I haven't had a time to test it (wiped out my bike before using it) but I'm told it's fantastic...

M.

Plenty of compact digital cameras happen to record video , usually onto an SD or other type memory card , the size of card determines the available recording time . It's not hard to get something inexpensive that will record up to an hour , possibly longer . Only thing is most will not record continuously and you need to format ( erase ) the card before each outing ( takes seconds to do ) . You will also need to arrange a power supply from a cigarette lighter adaptor or whatever if you don't want to be continuously replacing/charging batteries .

Try to find a way of concealing the camera ( perhaps in a sunglasses holder , with small hole for the lens to look through , atop the dash but looking through the windscreen ? ) to reduce the risk of it being on display and an attraction to thieves .

Yes, to not fill up or be annoying having to empty the card all the time you'd need it to loop round to the start again. On trackdays I just use a compact digital camera with an SD card. Fills up very quickly though, and the mount is relatively large and it takes a while to position correctly. So you need something very small and fixed (or at least with a fixed holder).

Plus if you get stopped for anything ever it would probably be confiscated by the police.

What you really need is an in car black box accident recorder. I'm not sure who makes them, but I remember seeing a system in use in the states that was fitted to some new drivers cars. Constantly recording, but never truly saving - except when there was an accident, it would save like the prev 30 secs, then keep on saving till turned off. Would have a couple of B+W cameras (one interior, one out the window), and monitored g-forces and directions. Sounded great! I only mention it as someone else may know what it's called...

Thanks for the replis i think the one linked by Koolvin is the kiddy will have to look tomorrow when i get time but looks and reads exactly what i need.

Lynall

I did see a gadget that did exactly the above slightly differently

It recorded on a 20 minute loop probably to flash memory and then if it were triggered it would dump the 20 min to a memory card.

It would be triggered by an accident, heavy braking or cornering and if a button was pushed on the dash - presumably if something interesting happened in front.

It was being fitted to vans and company cars and then the boss would check weekly how many times it was triggered. I would imagine because it was there, people would drive more carefully.

I'll have a look to see if I can find the link

Oops - just saw post 9.

As I see it , for what it’s worth, unless you have cameras facing in all directions, you aren't getting enough coverage to protect yourself from possible lengthy litigation or are you only anticipating an impending accident from one direction?

Just a thought :)

I am surprised something like this isn't fitted as standard to the more expensive Mercedes cars - specially the new S Class. Both front and back.

Our training car is fitted with a unit from THESE for video and audio, theres also an add on for recording all the vehicle parameters, speed, braking, g force etc.. Not cheap but very very good :thumb:

As I see it , for what it’s worth, unless you have cameras facing in all directions, you aren't getting enough coverage to protect yourself from possible lengthy litigation or are you only anticipating an impending accident from one direction?

Just a thought :)

Well last accident i had the guy came up the inside of me at a roundabout where there is no lane just cross hatching, a camere would ahve clearly shown this, that ended up 50/50 as i couldnt prove otherwise, and as mentioned wifes accident.

I reckon this is the way it will go and many cars will have this as std fit in a few years.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom