In car cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikemad955

Does anyone know of a good forward facing in car camera that constantly records when the engine is turned on and does it effect the warranty if it's hard wired .
Many thanks

The Blackvue Dr550 is an excellent product , if you have Dab then there has been known issues with interference . A new upgraded front to rear shielded cable has supposedly fixed the problem ( so check If you order ).

MiWitness cameras are on par with black vue & slightly smaller in length. Fitted loads , will record whilst parked with ignition off & has a clever motion sense too , so starts to record when it detects pixel change .
Comes with wifi too ( optional ) so you can view live streaming & recorded video files .

Hope this helps! ;)

I have a Mini 0801, invisible behind the rear view mirror, hardwired through one of these, starts on ignition and records on a ~5 hour loop on the 16GB card in it. Just what I wanted; you can see some of its output here or download some raw-from-the-camera footage in sunny conditions to see its quality here (~40MB 1080p MP4 file).

I can't imagine a bit of careful wiring to e.g. the back of the cigarette lighter socket would invalidate your warranty, unless you tried to claim for something impacted by your work.

For much more information, see DashcamTalk.

Last edited:
Are there any that you can leave on when you're not in the car (and therefore with the ignition off), without draining the battery - with their own back up power source, for example?

REVIEW: Mini DVR 0801 The Smallest 1080p LCD Car Dash Cam with Ambarella A2S60 - Best Mini Car Cam - YouTube
Techmoan on youtube has reviewed lots of cameras and he says this is one of the best . Shouldn't affect warranty since they can be plugged in to cigarette lighter or hardwired to an on with ignition live.
I bought one of those and found it worked sometimes and other times nothing was recorded. I returned this and bought the RoadHawk HD which is a brilliant if slightly expensive alternative.

I bought one of those and found it worked sometimes and other times nothing was recorded. I returned this and bought the RoadHawk HD which is a brilliant if slightly expensive alternative.

The Mini 0801 seems very sensitive to SD card choice and power supply. Mine is rock solid with a 16GB PNY class 6 card from PC World and the linked hardwired power adaptor.

My SJ1000 has been running since last summer in the car and it has been faultless.

It also went on holiday and was used as a go-pro in all sorts of extreme conditions.

Hi Troon,
where did you pick up your 12v from ? I was thinking the courtesy lights by the rear view mirror.

We use Smart Witness in all our vehicles at work, we use the HD version, you can program the sensitivity in three fields, up and down, side to side, and back to front. You can set them up to event record or continuous record. The fitter normally picks up a feed in the overhead interior light. We have had good results in proving accidents weren't out fault.

Hi Troon,
where did you pick up your 12v from ? I was thinking the courtesy lights by the rear view mirror.

I wired into the back of the 12v socket below the stereo, as that's a simple, high-current ignition-live feed. My regulator is cable-tied to the cross-car beam behind the dash-end fusebox, and the 5v wiring goes up the A-pillar and above the headlining.

Does anyone know if it is possible to hardwire a dashcam into the auto-wiper/lane tracking camera box at the top of the windscreen? (just behind the rear-view mirror) I've got an E-Class Estate (S212).

You just need to fine a switched live somewhere and then tap into that (with an inline fuse of course), then an earth point for ground.

Updated version of Sp!ke's recomendation SJ4000
edit - you need to add a windscreen mount to the purchase & a cigarette lighter charger/power supply (unless you hard wire to mini usb) Beware also of import duty. I had to pay an extra £19 with the carriers charge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom