In car cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deano1972

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi amg sport plus
just seen a video of a friend of mine having his van reversed into in a scam so I decided to get a camera for my Mercedes, what camera do you people have and are all the cables hidden as I don’t want stuff hanging everywhere

I've had hard-wired fitted by Halfords, a Nextbase 512. It records on a loop basis of 2 hours overwriting oldest video first. It has been reliable since purchase in November last year.

I've had hard-wired fitted by Halfords, a Nextbase 512. It records on a loop basis of 2 hours overwriting oldest video first. It has been reliable since purchase in November last year.
Thanks for reply ,am i presuming you don’t see any wires

I have been looking at getting a dash fitted. So many choices though! I have looked at Halfords and they charge £30 I think, to have it hard wired so no cables would be visible.

I have a novus camera in my london black cab. Its front, back, sound recording, speed monitor and impact sensor built in. Depending on the memory card, mine records for 72 driving hours.

Carry out a Search on "Dash Cam" it brings up quite a few instances. :D

I have the Nextbase 512. hard-wired into mine, relatively easy to do yourself, presuming you have the Fuse Box on the RH end of the Dash same as mine! o_O

As some other will state, I wouldn't let Halfords loose with real tools in amongst my cars wiring!

I have a Snooper DVR-5HD with front and rear cameras. Not hard-wired at the moment because the car is still under warranty and I'm not sure how long I will keep it.
The nice thing about this camera is that it also has a speed camera alert with lifetime updates. As I can't add speed cameras to my Comand NTG 5.5, this is the next best thing.

I have the Nextbase 512. hard-wired into mine, relatively easy to do yourself, presuming you have the Fuse Box on the RH end of the Dash same as mine! o_O

As some other will state, I wouldn't let Halfords loose with real tools in amongst my cars wiring!
"Halfords" is the name of a store, not a person.

I'd have to agree with you on this ... Halfords are a good resource for screen wash and wipers but I wouldn't let them near the electronics (no offence to the good people at Halfords)

Rob ..

"Halfords" is the name of a store, not a person.
I stand corrected though some help towards the OP would be better!

Post Edited so all can understand:

I wouldn't let anyone from Halfords loose with real tools in amongst my cars wiring! :rolleyes:

It's really quite easy.

I bought mine off Amazon (Transcend 200), stuck it behind the rear view mirror, tuck the wires into the plastic at the top of the windscreen, feed it round the side, down next to the dashboard and underneath the plastic bit by the door and go under the driver's seat, it comes back out the other side of the seat and into a USB plug. No tools required. You will see a bit of wire at the top where it goes into the plastics and a little bit where it comes out by the door and goes under the seat, but still look pretty good. You may need to buy a longer wire though.

I find the memory card capacity is not that important, no need for overkill such as 64gb etc as it loop record, if there is something important it will save and it won't delete or record over until you delete it. However you will need a memory card with MLC technology so it can cope with intensive writing by the dashcam. Normal ones is only good for occasional use, fit it into a dashcam it will malfunction after a few months.

Post Edited so all can understand:

I wouldn't let anyone from Halfords loose with real tools in amongst my cars wiring! :rolleyes:
So, an expert electrician gets a job with Halfords (for whatever reason)...you wouldn't trust him...but you'd trust say a good buddy who's done this sort of thing to his car?

So, an expert electrician gets a job with Halfords (for whatever reason)...you wouldn't trust him...but you'd trust say a good buddy who's done this sort of thing to his car?

Although this has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question:

Having watched a "an expert electrician" working at a Halfords Branch insisting that a Battery he was trying to install on a Classic Bike (not mine) could not possibly have a Positive Earth, then handing over to the other "expert", that was covering the Till to add his "expert" opinion! I would question the so called "experts" credentials, they may be "Jack of all Electrical's" but I would say that are not "Jack of all Marques Electrical's"

Most of my "Buddies" are Aircraft, Airframe, Propulsion or Avionics Engineers so I am rarely lost for someone who can offer assistance if I am stuck with a task I am either unfamiliar with, or won't attempt myself!

Now lets get back to the Forum! :confused:

An expert electrician would have to have hit rock bottom before he took a job in Halfords.

Russ

You should be able to do this yourself......
It is daunting, but not difficult
It can be a bit of a bugga / faff, but its not difficult

See my thread here (inc Pics)
Cam and car are still working fine:) - the EML's I later got were unrelated (sensors that MBS STAR'd and advised I just needed to give the car 'a dam good thrashing' :cool:)

Although this has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's question:

Having watched a "an expert electrician" working at a Halfords Branch insisting that a Battery he was trying to install on a Classic Bike (not mine) could not possibly have a Positive Earth, then handing over to the other "expert", that was covering the Till to add his "expert" opinion! I would question the so called "experts" credentials, they may be "Jack of all Electrical's" but I would say that are not "Jack of all Marques Electrical's"

Most of my "Buddies" are Aircraft, Airframe, Propulsion or Avionics Engineers so I am rarely lost for someone who can offer assistance if I am stuck with a task I am either unfamiliar with, or won't attempt myself!

Now lets get back to the Forum! :confused:
I know a few people in aircraft too...seemingly colour blind when it comes to choosing the right rivet.

Another vote for Transcend here and I've fitted it pretty much the same as well in case I need it in another vehicle.

Also been using Transcends for several years, proven most reliable with food SD card. Can link/review via Android app.
Routed via headliner, round windscreen, down under front console into hardwired inline fuse on cigar lighter.

Well thanks for the help guys ,just got in and started reading through your replies and am now a bit worried as I have been to Halfords and bought a netbase 512 but have booked it in to be fitted by them , now am I making a mistake letting them do it or in your honest opinions find some one else

I have had no problems with my 512 fitted at Halfords.

The guy who fitted the dash cam was contracted by Halfords and not a member of their staff so I was lead to believe. He told me that he was working all hours of the day fitted these cameras and not just at the store where the job was done.

Anyway, Halfords or not, it is down to the individual worker and his expertise who may give you good value for money or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom