In-car DAB

• Got it

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Want it

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Not fussed

Votes: 32 54.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
I used to have it and I miss it. Would have it again.

I think it was Pammy who tried it a while ago and found reception a little flakie in certain area, I voted not fussed as I can always listen to my CD's :eek:

I had it in my MGF and put the head unit in Edna. But they don't do an internal aerial that I am prepared to use so don't have the DAB element in use now. Yes I do miss it but the reception is flakey in rural areas and I live in rural N Yorks lol. But Yes - I would have it back like a shot because you've always got the FM as a fall back..

DAB music quality is terrible. Stereo DAB in the UK is encoded as MP2, usually broadcast at a bitrate of about 128kb/s. That is just not enough for good quality audio, you need about 192kb/s bitrate to approach something like high quality audio in DAB.

MP3 at 128kb/s would be a lot better, or DAB+ in the form of AAC and HE-AAC, but neither of these exist in the UK.

Ofcom now allows even lower bitrates (112kb/s). :crazy:

Bottom line is that at best, DAB is equal to FM in the UK, mostly it's terrible in terms of music quality. Give me FM any time ;).

If you live and drive mainly in a flat area, then reception is normally OK, any large ups and downs like Dorset or the peak district reception is limited.

DAB like anything digital will either work or you get nothing, at least with FM even if the signal de grades you can still hear it.

I make no comment on the quality

It will not be long before Sat Radio will be available in Europe!

That will quite simply be the death of DAB, which was ill conceived anyway!

It will not be long before Sat Radio will be available in Europe!

That will quite simply be the death of DAB, which was ill conceived anyway!
Will it be possible for a moving car to receive satellite radio and what about tall buildings, tunnels, trees etc? Isn't satellite radio already available?

Regards
John

The key problem with satellite for applications on the move is that you need a fairly clear line of sight to the satellite. In order to keep radios working continuously, the system will need to be able to switch to different signals continuously, and land based repeater stations are needed as well.

Traditional tv+radio spectrum is ideal for broadcasting a signal across a wide area, it's properties in terms of propagation etc the reason why that chunk of spectrum was chosen in the first place.

The main problem with satellite is that you'll have to pay to get the best stations, the free to hear offering on satellite radio in countries like the Us is appalling.

DAB+ would get my vote as the way forward.

DAB music quality is terrible. << snip >> Bottom line is that at best, DAB is equal to FM in the UK, mostly it's terrible in terms of music quality. Give me FM any time ;).
Quite right. Many people don't realise the low bit-rate that most UK DAB transmissions are made at and the frankly awful quality that results in. It's a bit like Freeview TV in that the bit-rate has been compromised so as to sqeeze in more channels. Never mind the quality, feel the width seems to be the order of the day in commercial broadcasting :crazy:

It's FM for me all the way :bannana:

Quite right. Many people don't realise the low bit-rate that most UK DAB transmissions are made at and the frankly awful quality that results in.

It's FM for me all the way

In a car I don't care so much about the low bit rates because it's not a great listening environment to start with.

But for listening at home the mess with the channles vs bit rate on DAB is a bit depressing.

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/coverage_maps.htm

This is a sight with all of the info and maps.

Do bare in mind that DAB uses band 2.

Band 1 no longer used, followed the land line and would go up the wall of a house and down the other side.

Band 11 does follow the land line but if it meets a hill, it could take a long time to come down again.

Band 3 no longer used in the UK is line of sight, as is Band 5 (tv)

If you are in town and your FM has gone noisy (pilot tone hiss) through the weak signal, DAB will not work

I voted got it as it will be in the new SClass. Hope it's got lots of kb/s that Guido has mentioned.

IPOD or Radio 4 [+ Radio 2 on Saturday mornings]

If you live and drive mainly in a flat area, then reception is normally OK, any large ups and downs like Dorset or the peak district reception is limited.

DAB like anything digital will either work or you get nothing, at least with FM even if the signal de grades you can still hear it.

I make no comment on the quality
My father-in-law has a 1999 VW Bora and lives in the middle of Normandy - near St. Lo - whenever we are there, we get into his car and he has Radio 4 on FM with perfect reception. Go into the house - the best they can get is shaky MW/LW. I have not been able to tune any car of mine into the standard they have, and if you change channels in the Bora, you cannot retune.

That one always baffles me..... could it be a Channel Islands signal they're picking up?? It only works for R4 FM.

Last edited:
My father-in-law has a 1999 VW Bora and lives in the middle of Normandy - near St. Lo - whenever we are there, we get into his car and he has Radio 4 on FM with perfect reception. Go into the house - the best they can get is shaky MW/LW. I have not been able to tune any car of mine into the standard they have, and if you change channels in the Bora, you cannot retune.

That one always baffles me..... could it be a Channel Islands signal they're picking up?? It only works for R4 FM.
The British get plagued with signals from France during Sept-Oct and it can affect parts of the UK South coast, and even as far as Herts (I used to live on the highest point in Herts) Its all to do with the propagation of radio waves and the ionosphere at certain times of the year.

Most people never bother with a correct aerial anymore, thats the one you seldom see now with horizontal rods about 15" long, with a good aerial beamed to the UK it could be possible to have it all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom