in car system for 124

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by mattc, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mattc

mattc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    Hi

Trying to plan ahead. Next year I want a combined music and gps system installed in my car. screen must fit within the usual slot and speakers will be replaced but MUST fit within the original openings and I would prefer the original covers to remain in place. Happy to have something mounted in the boot (currently there is a godawful Subwoofer and 6 stack CD player there). Music must be able to cope with the occasional single CD in the car and I expect the main music source to be digital. I want a LOT of storage capacity.

System does not have to be loud, rather I want quality.

Prepared to spend a bit on this so can you experts give your opinions on this and who you would recommend to do the work

cheers

matt

2. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    you are going to struggle with pop out screens due to the depth of the recess on a W124 dash

3. OP
    OP
    mattc

Car:
    I know - really asking what is possible/feasible. Not got fixed ideas on this so open to suggestions

4. Crazyjester900

Crazyjester900 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C200 W202
    Subs!

Don't forget subs!!

:)

5. OP
    OP
    mattc

Car:
    I will try and keep U boats in mind ;)

6. bigyin1

bigyin1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '96 W124 300D
    I'm interested to see what folk suggest for this as i'd like to fit a similar unit to mine and have something in the back for the kids to use (DVD or other) when travelling but don't want it to be obtrusive...

7. Chattonmill

Chattonmill Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E55 AMG
    I have done this in My S211 I used a PS2 which was bought on Ebay for £30 and have some headrest screens. Also running through it is an MP4 player and the Mercedes Digi tv. The PS2 plays DVD so covers that option. The whole lot work through the sound on the comand unit or individually through the headphone jacks.
    Now as to the head rest screens there are various options. there are plenty of cheap aftermarket ones that you can fond for under £100. It all depends on how fussy you sre about the OEM look. I am and so got some made up from the US. I am sure that the whole set up can be done for £150-£200 for the kids, then you would also need a head unit for the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Crazyjester900

Crazyjester900 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C200 W202
    it's best to do that :)

9. bolide

bolide Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
    I'd get a Becker CD / Radio / Satnav like this:

[​IMG]

Or a Blaupunkt TravelPilot like this:

[​IMG]

Overall I prefer the Becker because the audio quality is extraordinary and the radio tuner is superb. But the Blaupunkt is simpler to use and has a very useful 5-band digital EQ in addition to the standard bass & treble

Both units do FM, AM, CD, Satnav and have connections for a CD changer or an iPod. Both can connect to a phone car kit at the same time. They both have preamp outputs and some models of the Becker have a sub out as well

They are both clever enough to pause a CD (or an iPod if you have the full control cable) when the phone rings. They also have nice things like presettable turn-on volume, a mute function and a removeable front panel

Both the models shown are obsolete and the newer models may have Bluetooth connection for a phone

To keep things simple I'd use a 3-channel or 5-channel amp depending on how many speakers you want and put the amp in the boot, probably hung under the rear parcel shelf. Typically multichannel amps contain electronic crossovers so you can run a multi-way system with a separate woofer. The DLS amps I've linked to are not that high-powered and I'd recommend more power so you have headroom

Coupes, cabs and saloons have space for a CD changer, amps & a subwoofer. Estates are more difficult. Typically CD changers are hung under the parcel shelf. I've seen quite a few estates where the First Aid kit enclosure has been cut away and a 6-CD changer installed. You can also fit a changer inside the spare wheel of an estate

To get bass into the cabin you'll need to vent the subwoofer via the speaker cutout in the parcel shelf or via a cutout in the First Aid kit mount. Mounting subs "free air" / "infinite baffle" in the parcel shelf also works well - you seal up all holes between the cabin & boot and use the boot space as the enclosure so there's no speaker box in the boot. You'll need woofers that are designed for this application

It's possible to build a subwoofer enclosure to fit inside the spare wheel of an estate. Not that easy, but doable. Some manufacturers also make active subs to fit inside a spare wheel. Otherwise you have to take up load space with a speaker box

The biggest problem in my experience is the front speakers. The dash cutouts are small (12cm) and the size is non-standard. This limits what you can fit and seriously limits the amount of bass & mid-bass the front speakers can deliver. It is possible to grind the opening bigger to fit 13 cm speakers but that's still a small speaker

Probably the best best is to go for a three-way system with a subwoofer in the boot and mids & tweeters in the doors. You could build a pod in the front door like this

[​IMG]

and fit the tweeters in the sail panel, in the original dash location, or in the pod. A setup with tweeters in the sail panel might look like this

[​IMG]

If you want a commercially-available product Jehnert make replacement door panels to fit. They come complete with speakers but are not cheap

There's a thread here that will give you lots of ideas

I wouldn't try and build a system without a subwoofer and I wouldn't justify not having a subwoofer because "I don't listen loud" or "I don't like lots of bass". Getting an in-car system to sound convincing requires good, solid bass response, lots of amplifier headroom, a good signal source and - above all - intelligibility from the mids

Nick Froome
    www.w124.co.uk

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  10. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    530d Touring + ML270 Inspiration
Tags: