in dash sat nav instal on 129sl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
Hi guys

Just bought a becker in dash sat nav - am expecting delivery today....

2 questions:
- can I get a speed sensor signal from the radio ISO plug (as per on Bobcat's W202 in an earlier thread) ? ; and
- where is the best spot under the dash to put the GPS aerial?

ta

Not sure about the ISO plug location on the 129 - but assume the radio is pre-wired for speed sensitive volume adjustment, and would be surprised if the wire was in a different location !

On the 202, which I believe has the same / similar shaped instrument cluster, I have mounted my GPS sensor between the top of the instrument cluster surround, and the layer of insulation / foam which is between the top of the surround, and the cluster itself. You would need to remove the cluster to install it here.

s.

Eek.
Don't think I want to start removing the instrument cluster...............

don't you need a line of sight to the sky for the GPS aerial to work? Mine is mounted right at the bottom of the windscreen, where it meets the dashboard. Although, you need to check if you have any sort of reflective coating on your windscreen glass, that would cause problems with the signal.

The top of the instrument cluster has line of sight to the sky as its directly underneath the windscreen ! ... works fine on mine anyway !

@nick.... no need to dismantle the cluster - just needs to be pulled out (its held in with friction) , and then re-inserted. Very easy job.

S.

Sym

not sure I can picture your install. Does that mean the aerial is mounted on top of the instrument binnacle, right in front of the driver?

mickl said:
Sym

not sure I can picture your install. Does that mean the aerial is mounted on top of the instrument binnacle, right in front of the driver?

Its invisible. Housed just inside the instrument cluster surround and held in there nice and firmly by the cluster.... the sensors work fine through plastic.

S.

ah right. I'd always assumed the aerial has to be able to see clear sky for it to work. Must depend on the strength of the receiver.

mickl said:
ah right. I'd always assumed the aerial has to be able to see clear sky for it to work. Must depend on the strength of the receiver.

Probably ... this is the MB OEM one for COMAND ... so should be decent quality one would hope. Its a very slim one as well, which helps the installation !

Picks up 8 Satellites all the time, no problems.

The OEM mounting position is underneath the top of the dash for quite a few cars, I believe.

S.

Lazy buggers! Mine's in the parcel shelf under a speaker grating, it has the whole rear window to gaze through :)

Basically I'm rubbish at anything that involves taking bits apart and putting them back together.
Actually - its the putting back together bit that gets me. Once taken apart by me most things never go back together again properly.
A lot of you guys seem totally at ease with doing these "mods" yourselves. The thought of taking out the instrument cluster fills me with dread.
Taking the radio out and putting it back in is about the limit of my abilities !!

lol @ Shude

Mine looks like a PC mouse has been stuck on the dash! :p It's actually not that bad, and blends in quiet well, as does the microphone on the interior light/mirror console.

nickg said:
Basically I'm rubbish at anything that involves taking bits apart and putting them back together.
Actually - its the putting back together bit that gets me. Once taken apart by me most things never go back together again properly.
A lot of you guys seem totally at ease with doing these "mods" yourselves. The thought of taking out the instrument cluster fills me with dread.
Taking the radio out and putting it back in is about the limit of my abilities !!

Nick

it's a pretty easy install as long as you speedpulse sensor is already setup on your car. The only extra thing to this from installing a standard headunit is you're going to have to feed the aerial through the dashboard somewhere.

saying that, I had my satnav professionally installed :D

Thanks Mickl.
How do I know if the speedpulse sensor is already "set up"?
The car is a '96 model.

nickg said:

You get the hang of it .... I was petrified of breaking the instrument cluster the first time I took it out ... easy when u know how though !

Taken far too much apart since then to start listing here, but it DOES go back together nicely .. promise !!

S.

I'm all for practice makes perfect. I just don't want to practice on my own car.

I tried several GPS antennas on my SL 129 and the only place I got any to work was on top of the dash either in the centre or tucked in the left corner by the Tax disc. I tried between the cluster & dash but they all gave only 1 or sats even the mb one. .

the speed pulse is on pin 1 on the ISO power block . IS it teh BEcker traffic pro? I have 2 of those and had them before in previous cars - they are a good system. which version of the map discs are you getting? make sure you get the navsys ones - they tries using teleatlas for a while but those discs had bugs & were abandoned back in favour of navsys.

Blimey its all so complicated.
I've got the Becker Indianapolis 7920.
Don't know what map discs I'm getting.
Bought it from GPS Warehouse,over the web.
Should have arrived today - will check this evening.
I'd be a bit disappointed if I had to have the antenna on the dash, even if it is quite inconspicuous......

You could try mounting it under the carpet on the passenger side, that's where I have seen the GPS antennas for Tracker units etc.

Shude said:
You could try mounting it under the carpet on the passenger side, that's where I have seen the GPS antennas for Tracker units etc.

Unlikey to work, don't know what's different about trackers etc, but these GPS aerials need better line of sight than that - thin plastic at top of dash perhaps, under carpet I would be shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom