In Line Diesel Fuel Filter for 2017 MB Sprinter 906 (OM651)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonnypitlad

Car
Sprinter
Has anyone fitted an inline diesel fuel filter to a 906 Sprinter with OM651 engine?
I’m thinking it could be “ sacrificial”, located easy to access and change and cheaper than the OE filter which would encourage more frequent changes
I don’t know what pressure the diesel fuel system operates at so it would have to be robust
Any comments/advice would be appreciated

How often is it recommended to change the factory fitted filter?

Yes we install a frame mounted pre-filter /water separator to combat fuel quality issues.
We just emulate what all US platform diesel truck/van makers do ! Pre-filter the fuel.

Mostly preferred by those that venture south of the border, into the Baja lands .
In the US MB's 20 ,000 miles if far too long for US pump DERV.
!0,000 we recommend tops. Unless you want/risk drivability problems .
Tuercas viejas

Thanks Tuercas
Do you recommend a brand or model number suitable for the OM651 engine?
It may not be available in UK but I could “ Google “ it to see the capacity/ speciation to try to find a similar type available here
Is it necessary to mount the pre filter near the OEM filter or can it be located anywhere convenient to service it?

A UK seller will make up a “kit” of inline pre filter and water separator if I provide certain information
From YouTube videos I’ve established that the 2017 Sprinter 314CDI fuel system is
Self priming
The hoses are “ rubber” ie not metal because they use “ hose clamps”
The only information I don’t have is the size of the hose
The seller suggests it’s probably 8mm or 10mm
The size is not the outside diameter (OD) so I can’t measure it myself
Can anyone advise the correct size of the fuel system line (pipes)
I intend to replace the OE fuel filter at the same time as fitting the inline filters
I’d like to have the correct fittings/ material on hand before starting work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom