In Memory of Druk. How about...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
In memory of Derek, it came to mind something that we could do to commemorate our very own superman.

This might not sit well with some because it would involve a financial outlay (something I want no part whatsoever in managing!) and it could well be a complete waste, but here goes...

If we clubbed together and bought a racehorse, and named it DRUK, I think it would be a fantastic tribute to Derek.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, racehorse ownership is a rich mans hobby.

If we were to name the horse DRUK, it would have to be unraced and not registered name-wise.
This would usually be a 2yo, or sometimes a late-maturing 3, 4, 5 year old.
A stoutly-bred horse that could run on the flat in its early career and then over hurdles and chase fences as it grows older would be the way to keep the memory alive - hurdlers and chasers sometimes run into their teens.

The chances of us finding a horse good enough to be graced with Derek's tag are pretty slim - there are owners out there awash with cash that, on professional advice, buy horses for big bucks and get it horribly wrong.

However, moderately priced horses do sometimes come good, although not too often.

We could have a syndicate that could chip in for the purchase price and also the monthly training and vets fees.
Because we would not be interested in a profitable return (who knows, it could happen!) there wouldn't be any pressure to contribute as much as the next man, but just something to help with the war effort so to speak.

On the upside, imagine the commentary... "and DRUK is going well and coming to take the lead..."
OK, yeah, I know... But one can dream. :)

Failing the above pipedream, how about chipping in to sponsor a race at Derek's local track, Mussleburgh?

A race named in the great mans honour, something like 'The Derek Rhind, DRUK Memorial Novices Hurdle, or the like?

I think that sponsoring a medium-grade race at the track would cost around £5,000, in win and place prize money, of which I'm prepared to contribute generously in the hope of getting something deserving of Derek's memory off the ground.
This race could be an annual race at the track where MBClub members and Derek's family and friends meet up to mark and commemorate the happiness Derek brought to their lives.

If the above is pie in the sky, then I apologise.
I just think we should do something significant to honour Derek's memory and if we join forces and band together, hopefully it can happen. :)

Last edited:
I think that sponsoring a medium-grade race at the track would cost around £5,000, in win and place prize money, of which I'm prepared to contribute generously in the hope of getting something deserving of Derek's memory off the ground.
This race could be an annual race at the track where MBClub members and Derek's family and friends meet up to mark and commemorate the happiness Derek brought to their lives.

I'd be happy to contribute towards race sponsorship, but being a miserable basket, couldn't guarantee attending. But anyway, to start the ball rolling, if this is not an inappropriate thing for me to say, put me down for £50, meaning we need 99 more (assuming no admin costs). Or if we can't make 100 x £50, then I'd be happy to double that to £100, meaning we'd need another 49. (or combinations thereof, up to £100).

Thinking it's the least I can do, if for no other reason than I've used MBClub free of charge for almost 4 years - much of it under Derek's guiding light. Bargain, which ever way you look at it.

Thanks for posting this @ringway :)

I'd be happy to contribute towards race sponsorship, but being a miserable basket, couldn't guarantee attending. But anyway, to start the ball rolling, if this is not an inappropriate thing for me to say, put me down for £50, meaning we need 99 more (assuming no admin costs). Or if we can't make 100 x £50, then I'd be happy to double that to £100, meaning we'd need another 49. (or combinations thereof, up to £100).

Thinking it's the least I can do, if for no other reason than I've used MBClub free of charge for almost 4 years - much of it under Derek's guiding light. Bargain, which ever way you look at it.

Thanks for posting this @ringway :)

Pop me down for the 2nd £50.

98 to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom