In praise of an old W202 - and who needs to go fast...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
While the E63 is in with Terry Gates and costing me an armannaleg, he has loaned me an old (P reg) C250 diesel saloon with 248K miles on it. It reminds me of the Jet Provost 3 trainer - a.k.a. the Constant Speed Variable Noise Machine - but it runs perfectly well.

It's roomy, quiet, quite stately in a very 'old-style Mercedes' way, and while it gathers speed rather than accelerates, and understeers and rolls like a b'stard if you even think about fast cornering, it has an air of quality engineering to it, and generally feels indefatigable and unburstable.

It's a slug, but I rather enjoy driving it. It's wonderfully relaxing trundling along at no more than 80 mph; you can't possibly begin to compete with quick stuff, so you don't even try...

Maybe I'm getting old.

I drive a S211 220 cdi and while it may be a bit quicker than the C250 its not by much! Nevertheless I enjoy the drive and I'm never in that much of a hurry anyway. Theres a lot to be said for cars of "humble" performance.

And I certainly am getting old.

My old G-Wagen was exactly the same.
With the 3 litre diesel it was slower than a slow thing (although surprisingly smooth) and it rolled more than the Costa Concordia with Schettino at the helm but it was a pleasure to wind the window down and enjoy the leisurely drive.

You don't seem to be lacking in spare cars mind so why the loner? But yes there is something about a car that you know won't perform so you don't try and it's all fine. My old range rover couldn't accelerate away from a snail despite it's 4.2 v8 and hi lift cam shaft although it does cruise quite nicely once you get there. Having said that it is a bit slow but quite comfortable.

You don't seem to be lacking in spare cars mind so why the loner?

You can't get luggage, and an Old English Sheepdog and a Labradoodle, in either an SL or an SLK. Well, not unless you leave the driver behind...

Try a 190. Does everything that is good about a old 202 only more so and then some.....

Last of the mechanical injection diesel C class ? The 4 cylinder C220 W202 that replaced it had electronic injectors iirc?

You can't get luggage, and an Old English Sheepdog and a Labradoodle, in either an SL or an SLK. Well, not unless you leave the driver behind...
8e69e1d3ad107929aaf18ac40cb7904a.jpg

Always an option - they can share a seat!

While the E63 is in with Terry Gates and costing me an armannaleg, he has loaned me an old (P reg) C250 diesel saloon with 248K miles on it. It reminds me of the Jet Provost 3 trainer - a.k.a. the Constant Speed Variable Noise Machine - but it runs perfectly well.

It's roomy, quiet, quite stately in a very 'old-style Mercedes' way, and while it gathers speed rather than accelerates, and understeers and rolls like a b'stard if you even think about fast cornering, it has an air of quality engineering to it, and generally feels indefatigable and unburstable.

It's a slug, but I rather enjoy driving it. It's wonderfully relaxing trundling along at no more than 80 mph; you can't possibly begin to compete with quick stuff, so you don't even try...

Maybe I'm getting old.
I understand where you are coming from.My first Merc was a W202 C 220 Diesel in Bornite. A classic in its day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom