In Praise of Mercedes-Benz Main Dealers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RonFleet

Car
Volvo XC40
My four year old C Class was in for service and MOT at Mercedes-Benz Brooklands yesterday. Apart from the fact that they have the Mercedes-Benz World on site, as well car sales and coffee shop, they also have very helpful staff. Not only did I have an enjoyable day wandering around the cars, new and old, but when my car failed its MOT due to suspension wear, I was very pleasantly surprised when the service manager told me that he'd spoken to MB, who had agreed to pay 75% of the full cost of the repair, which would otherwise have lightened my wallet by nearly £800. He did this of his own initiative, before he spoke to me.

Many members complain about main dealers (and probably with good cause at times), but I have had great service from both MB Brooklands and Sandown MB of Guildford in the past. I know I pay more for the work, but I can't fault the service. I have used Huxley's in Fleet for a couple of smaller jobs, and they have given excellent service, too.

Suspension wear on a four year old car? What exactly was wrong?

My experience of these things (but not MB) is that they don't offer to contribute unless a known sub standard part was fitted in the first place - and if you push it will be repaired free of charge.

Glad you had a nice (if expensive) day out though.

I too was wondering what had worn out after 4 years? Nice to hear good service but I smell a rat here...sorry

Me three interested what was worn out how many miles on the clock.

The car's mileage is just shy of 41,000 miles. Potholes are a plague where I live. The replacement part was the offside front spring control arm. The total price included: remove and replace wheel; remove and replace lower engine compartment panelling centre and rear; remove damaged and install new spring control arm for front axle; perform wheel alignment check; check vehicle ride height.

It may be that there was a fault with these items and MB is happy to cough up without arguing. I suspect that the damage was the result of being unable to avoid one or more of the many potholes around where I live.

Yup the front suspension arms are a Mercedes plague. Fitted aftermarket on mine. Funny enough the cl500 was also having failed mot on the arms after 4 years

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Had the last three services done at MB Brooklands, can't fault them. First class every time.

Mind, my car is on Service Care Plan, so I can't comment on their price, but as far as service goes they are excellent.

I opted for the Service Care Plan for this car and its predecessor, and will do so for its successor.

The car's mileage is just shy of 41,000 miles. Potholes are a plague where I live. The replacement part was the offside front spring control arm. The total price included: remove and replace wheel; remove and replace lower engine compartment panelling centre and rear; remove damaged and install new spring control arm for front axle; perform wheel alignment check; check vehicle ride height.

It may be that there was a fault with these items and MB is happy to cough up without arguing. I suspect that the damage was the result of being unable to avoid one or more of the many potholes around where I live.

We do tons of these. Seems to be a bit of an issue with these arms on this model. Interesting that they coughed up 75% of it for you!

Natacha

More dealer praise from me.

I dropped the car in this morning for it's B service on the care plan and before I had the chance to eyeball their coffee my chap appeared with every ready to get me on my way. I mentioned it's due an MOT in march so they'll squeeze that in too no problem and fit some wipers for me (poke your 6 quid Halfords!).

I was handed the keys to the courtesy car, transferred my bit and pieces to the new boot, put the key in and was presented with "Depress clutch to start!" ... what on earth is one of those I though! What a numpty I forgot to mention I'd prefer an auto when booking the car in as I haven't touched a horrible manual for ten years :doh:

Not wanting to drive a manual the length of the A12 and back with the feeling I'm on my driving test again but knowing that courtesy cars need allocating well in advance I sheepishly approached the desk and with a goofy smile asked if they had a spare auto floating around.

The guy was a pro although I knew exactly what was going through his mind by the eye twitch (Stupid bloody pr*ck presumably) but he hid it very well and with a few clicks, a quick word with his colleague, two more signatures from myself I was handed the keys to a Volvo T2 (which I quite like), I received a smile and a handshake to congratulate me on giving him his first headache of the day and once my backside was sufficiently warmed by the seats I was heading to work.

We do tons of these. Seems to be a bit of an issue with these arms on this model. Interesting that they coughed up 75% of it for you!

Natacha
Interesting - thanks for the update. I was pleased that they offered the 75% contribution. To say that I nearly bit his hand off would be an understatement :).

I got offered 50% recently for the W204 Wiring loom to the lumbar support, based upon the forums it is a known issue that the loom wiring chafes and eventually shorts.

Mercedes Benz Warranty did not accept the warranty claim. The dealership i use offered 50% towards the fix. I wasn't happy or nor upset. Middleground.

More dealer praise from me.

I dropped the car in this morning for it's B service on the care plan and before I had the chance to eyeball their coffee my chap appeared with every ready to get me on my way. I mentioned it's due an MOT in march so they'll squeeze that in too no problem and fit some wipers for me (poke your 6 quid Halfords!).

I was handed the keys to the courtesy car, transferred my bit and pieces to the new boot, put the key in and was presented with "Depress clutch to start!" ... what on earth is one of those I though! What a numpty I forgot to mention I'd prefer an auto when booking the car in as I haven't touched a horrible manual for ten years :doh:

Not wanting to drive a manual the length of the A12 and back with the feeling I'm on my driving test again but knowing that courtesy cars need allocating well in advance I sheepishly approached the desk and with a goofy smile asked if they had a spare auto floating around.

The guy was a pro although I knew exactly what was going through his mind by the eye twitch (Stupid bloody pr*ck presumably) but he hid it very well and with a few clicks, a quick word with his colleague, two more signatures from myself I was handed the keys to a Volvo T2 (which I quite like), I received a smile and a handshake to congratulate me on giving him his first headache of the day and once my backside was sufficiently warmed by the seats I was heading to work.
A Volvo courtesy car from an MB dealer...? Crikey.

You have to laugh at the responses here, the dealer does a good deed and that's reason for suspicion.

I'm afraid it is yes..

Unfortunately So many dealers have bad reputations it has created a very synical public. Which is a shame as there are many cases where they are in fact excellent..

They do have to earn my trust though as I hear to many horror story's. Mind you its human nature to only remeber the bad things in life..

MB Huddersfield are good - they collect my car and bring it back, or deliver a courtesy car at no charge.
Makes life very easy. :)

Great to hear this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom