In pursuit of perfection...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
So 2014 is here and I've decided to keep my car and therefore I will need to ensure that it is properly looked after. Having taken my car from 17k miles to 40k miles in less than 18 months, it has obviously seen some action and has one or two blemishes requiring sorting out. This will take a while to arrange and so this will be a work in progress thread.

Job 1: The Dent man.

I was aware that I had picked up two tiny dents in the bonnet from my '000s of motorway miles. So when I discovered that a Dent guy lived near me I thought it was worth asking him to not only fix my bonnet but check the whole car. After a morning being worked on in my garage my car is (for now!) entirely ding free! :)

IMG-20140107-00459_zps54806e8b.jpg

IMG-20140107-00458_zps3e20e458.jpg

IMG-20140107-00457_zpsc4a718f8.jpg

Next job is to get a paint man!

Greg - I can do paint. Have brush and will travel.............

Hmm having trouble getting any smart repairers to ring me back....

That's one car I would not like to touch as a Paintman....

You can imagine them looking at the shine, thinking detailer and run!:D

That's one car I would not like to touch as a Paintman....

You can imagine them looking at the shine, thinking detailer and run!:D

LOL. Maybe! I dropped into a garage yesterday and they priced my jobs at a silly level because they didn't want the hassle. One Smart repairer (who I have used before)has packed it in. Another hasn't returned three messages :(. One has just rung and has said he will ring back if he can get to me!

Edit. Maybe I'm blacklisted!

Job 1. 4inch scuff left on my car by a stranger!

IMG-20140109-00001_zps5a1203a1.jpg

Job 2 Summer wheel scuff (on wheel when I bought it)

IMG-20140109-00003_zpsaae3ae88.jpg

Job 3. Winter wheel (done by me!)

IMG-20140109-00005_zps05f0b5f8.jpg

Job 4 Winter wheel me (done by me)

IMG-20140109-00006_zps87ac3045.jpg

This statement made me laugh

"I will need to ensure that it is properly looked after"

Now considering you actually drive it all year and having seen your car here's my statement

It is one of the best looked after around and a credit to you :thumb:

Keep it up as I enjoy your threads.

This statement made me laugh

"I will need to ensure that it is properly looked after"

Now considering you actually drive it all year and having seen your car here's my statement

It is one of the best looked after around and a credit to you :thumb:

Keep it up as I enjoy your threads.

Thank you! It is never perfect but given that some weeks it does over 1000 miles it is almost impossible to get it totally flawless.

Have you thought about asking a detailer about the paint jobs. Mike at 'Detailed' (Forum member) has done such jobs I assume, looking at one of his threads. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/deta...test-mercedes-detail-i-have-ever-created.html

Good luck getting it sorted, these little things do niggle.

Mike has given me advice before and encourages me in my madness! He is a bit far away from me to leave my car without some organising. However, progress has been made. A Smart repairer has just left and has fixed both my summer wheels and my winter wheels. He has, most importantly fixed my wing scuff. Photos to follow!

Summer wheels. This one has been repaired and the others have had three layers of Zymol on the wheels and Autoglym vinyl care on the tyres. At least they are ready for spring :
IMG-20140109-00011_zpsd1290660.jpg

Waxed and ready to go with Pirelli P Zeros.

IMG-20140109-00008_zpsf992fc31.jpg

IMG-20140109-00007_zps39baa254.jpg

Wing repaired and then polished.

IMG-20140109-00014_zps021883e0.jpg

The winter wheel is fixed as well but the phone photo didn't come out.

Last edited:
Having had the dents done, the wing done and the wheels done, the next job was to get the mirror covers painted. I asked on another thread about the options and the answer given was "Go away....". In case anyone does wants to know, I decided to stay with Black although at £90 the Carbon dip option was tempting. They will now be at the paint shop until middle of next week ish.

Good choice R2 ;) Black very much in keeping with the Elegance model :)

I was 55/45 for black. The Carbon dippers said they could do a black finish that was carbon. If I feel flush when I put the new ones on maybe I should get the old ones done just to see. I guess I could always sell them on if I hated them.

Well today my mirror covers are due back from the painters so lets hope they have done a perfect job :) I've also been given a box set of AutoGlym products by my family :) :) and finally I've also booked the car into Comand.co.uk for my next mod :) :) :) The project is continuing!!

Well the covers arrived back today looking perfect! :) The delay was in how to remove the LED strip. The answer is to remove the screws then apply heat to the middle of the V bit in order to free the glued part. Then paint the cover and then reheat the glue again to stick in place the LED prior to putting the screws back in. Now if only I could remove the old covers!

IMG-20140121-00015_zps9c507064.jpg

Well the weather man said I had 5 hours of sunshine. So I washed down with hose (not jet wash), then hand washed with Zymol Autowash, then dried with new towels, then Zymol polish, then wipe down with damp towel and let dry, then AG Extra Gloss protection. Then Wheels done with AG wheel cleaner, AG Wheel sealer, and AG type dressing. Then hoover the interior and clean glass inside and out, then dust. Next was the Engine bay again using AG and then off with the exhaust trims (again!) for there new year polish!.

The new paddles, and mirror covers have been money well spent....I wonder what the next job will be :)

Hope you enjoy the results.
DSCF6943_zpsf5242708.jpg

DSCF6942_zps31b72277.jpg

DSCF6938_zpsf4f6548b.jpg

Filthy Exhausts!

DSCF6944_zpsf007e6f4.jpg

Shiny Exhausts!

DSCF6945_zpsc3217f52.jpg

DSCF6947_zps0497f3da.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom