In Scotland but further south than Carlisle...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
A weekend away with my mate was in order. The 211 performed brilliantly. Took the booze, and copious amounts of food required to fuel me.

Went to a campsite in Dumfrieshire, and stayed in a "Wigwam"-basically a mini chalet as it was chucking it down and quite chilly. However, getting to the middle of nowhere is a relaxing and calming thing and I cannot recommend it enough.

Anyway, the area has some really good driving roads. In particular the A713 from Ayr to Dumfries (The Dumfries-Ayr tourist route IIRC) and is usually quiet. There are also some nice roads down the Mull of Galloway, and a nice wee restaurant there too. It would be a nice place for a Scots GTG.

The Mull of Galloway is the most southern point in Scotland, and further south (just) than Carlisle and essentially parallel with Penrith.

It really is quite an interesting place, we did a tour of the lighthouse (a mere £2 each) and the views are stunning. On a good day you can see the Isle of Man and NI.

However, it was a tad overcast, and very windy.

The accommodation

DSC00126.jpg

The lighthouse

DSC00143.jpg

Various views from the lighthouse and cliffs on Scotlands most southerly point

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

Where we were on the Map

DSC00135.jpg

The feasting

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

Return trip-no speeding involved

DSC00152.jpg

Last edited:
Great location for a GTG ?

Only if we get to use this bit as a race track :)

DSC00148.jpg

Its a superb place for a GTG if folk are willing to travel, its about 2hrs30mins from Glasgow and Carlisle.

The roads there have very sweeping views, and are good fun to drive on, bar when the cows just walk on the road....if we fitted a bull bar to yours, road kill then BBQ on the new machine!!!

Nice photos! However, us southerners have a word for your "chalet". We know it as a "shed" :p

Cheers,

Gaz

I was around that area a couple of months ago, VV nice :thumb:, as you say Steve good roads.
The dam Lighthouse was shut when I was there :doh::D.

Love the shopping trolley - careful you don't overdo the fresh fruit and veg:D

Could only be for a lads w'end:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom