In the market for a 6.2 e63 estate..... Not many out there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damurphster

Car
BMW 550i touring, on the hunt for C63 estate
Very nearly bought a 6.2 c63 the other day but with this being the family car the wife is campaigning that we go for the bigger car.

So now looking at an e63, specifically the 6.2 as the tech in the 5.5 bi turbo makes me too nervous for a second hand purchase.

But.... There is not many out there for sale, is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Can't find any UK e63 Facebook groups?

Any UK AMG forums etc?

I'm at the lower budget end ideally under £20k and keen on a few toys, ideally an LSD and dynamic seats etc.

I might just have to be patient and wait for one to come up..... Which I'm not very good at....

Very nearly bought a 6.2 c63 the other day but with this being the family car the wife is campaigning that we go for the bigger car.

So now looking at an e63, specifically the 6.2 as the tech in the 5.5 bi turbo makes me too nervous for a second hand purchase.

But.... There is not many out there for sale, is there anywhere else I should be looking?

Can't find any UK e63 Facebook groups?

Any UK AMG forums etc?

I'm at the lower budget end ideally under £20k and keen on a few toys, ideally an LSD and dynamic seats etc.

I might just have to be patient and wait for one to come up..... Which I'm not very good at....

You mentioned in a previous post you had an E61 550i. Had you thought of the E61 M5 V10 monster?

If he's worried about issues in the 5.5 E63 then the E61 M5 is enough to have night terrors in terms of potential problems!

This!

Also I want to move the LPG kit from my 550i to the e63 so need something na and reasonably simple.

I've had a run of BMW's (and my other car is an i3) so fancy trying a Merc.

You’ll have to be patient if you’re looking for a nice 6.2 estate. They didn’t make them for very long and were sold in fairly low numbers so understandably there’s few for sale at any time.

I waited a long time when looking and found an immaculate late 6.2. It was a fairly high spec/low mileage car (‘11’ plate, 11k miles, full MB history and £11k of options) for £26k last summer. I paid £25.5k for it and sold it a year later for £24750 to a trader who retailed it for £30k and then dropped it to £28k. It sold soon after.

The cheapest 212 AMG estates seem to start in the mid-high teens but you’ll be buying something with a fair few miles and possibly not as good condition as the more expensive ones.

When you think these were £80/90k cars new even a few £k extra for the very best/lowest mileage examples is worth it in the long run if you can stretch to it.

Great cars, I loved mine but we outgrew it as a family!

This was mine:

Used Mercedes-benz E Class Estate 6.2 E63 Amg G-tronic 5dr in Windlesham, Surrey | S.P.V. Automotive Limited

Brings back some nice memories, I loved the engine - an absolute peach :cool:

That's a lovely looking car and great buy for under £25k.

There are a few examples or the but the spec is not exciting. If it didn't have an LSD is have to budget for one.

So back to my original question, I'm not missing any obvious places for these? There is no Facebook group etc?

That's a lovely looking car and great buy for under £25k.

There are a few examples or the but the spec is not exciting. If it didn't have an LSD is have to budget for one.

So back to my original question, I'm not missing any obvious places for these? There is no Facebook group etc?

Auto Trader logo

Any feedback on this one?

No dynamic seats, or LSD.

Edit: is that the performance pack steering wheel and alloys?

Last edited:
Get the V10 monster you know you want too :D

Auto Trader logo

Any feedback on this one?

No dynamic seats, or LSD.

Edit: is that the performance pack steering wheel and alloys?

Those are the standard wheels that come with pre-facelift 212 E63, both the 6.2 and 5.5 models have those. They’re forged alloy and cost over £5k a set - the facelift 5.5 cars get cheaper cast alloy wheels which are more prone to cracking. Forged alloy wheels were optional on those models but came as standard on the E63S :thumb:

The steering wheel is the standard one too, no performance pack on that car - they come with red brake calipers (which confusingly were a stand-alone option at £560, as per my old car!)

The car itself looks okay, but is quite low spec and pretty average in most respects IMHO. It doesn’t appeal to me personally although there’s nothing obviously wrong about it - it would have to be either a low mileage, or very high spec car, or very attractively priced perhaps for me to take notice - but everyone is different of course :)

Those are the standard wheels that come with pre-facelift 212 E63, both the 6.2 and 5.5 models have those. They’re forged alloy and cost over £5k a set - the facelift 5.5 cars get cheaper cast alloy wheels which are more prone to cracking. Forged alloy wheels were optional on those models but came as standard on the E63S :thumb:

The steering wheel is the standard one too, no performance pack on that car - they come with red brake calipers (which confusingly were a stand-alone option at £560, as per my old car!)

The car itself looks okay, but is quite low spec and pretty average in most respects IMHO. It doesn’t appeal to me personally although there’s nothing obviously wrong about it - it would have to be either a low mileage, or very high spec car, or very attractively priced perhaps for me to take notice - but everyone is different of course :)

Interesting about the wheels - thanks.

agree with your other points, its not an exciting spec and/or price.

What would you say it is missing to be exciting?

I'm not up on the options yet!

This one just popped up.

93k but seems to have more options.

Auto Trader logo

Says it has sports dynamic seats but I cannot see the controls for it - they look like the normal ones.

Much as though I would like the 6.2 I'm mentally struggling to pay more for one over the 5.5!

Last edited:
Oops ignore above it’s not a golf

Get a 5.5 Biturbo. You'll not regret it;)
I certainly wouldn't pay more for a n/a over the Biturbo either.

Re the alloys on the E63. Will is correct in saying the more expensive , and better forged alloys came standard with the pre-facelift.
The ones fitted to the facelift are considerably cheaper at £3700 a set........without tyres;)

5.5 ltrs vs 6.2 litres is hardly much difference in displacement and you get a mountain of torque (800nm ) compared to the NA engine (630nm) at lower rpm so you dont have to rev it out to get the performance. ofcourse some might prefer the lower torque engine with more linear power curve and arguably more useable power.

Also the 5.5 is in newer cars and there will be more low mileage offerings I guess (haven't checked this )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom