INA belt tensioner failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horatio

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK, 190E
after a few hundred miles.

Investigated some belt squeal and found that the INA belt tensioner I recently fitted is failing. It makes a horrible creak when turned and sounds like an old clock when tapped (Spring inside failing somehow?).

Seems there is some real crap being sold by OEM's through Euro car parts and the like. I had to send a Behr rad back a few months ago because it look such poor quality I didn't want to fit it.

It's getting to the stage where I only trust buying genuine now :confused:

after a few hundred miles.

Investigated some belt squeal and found that the INA belt tensioner I recently fitted is failing. It makes a horrible creak when turned and sounds like an old clock when tapped (Spring inside failing somehow?).

Seems there is some real crap being sold by OEM's through Euro car parts and the like. I had to send a Behr rad back a few months ago because it look such poor quality I didn't want to fit it.

It's getting to the stage where I only trust buying genuine now :confused:

Would not be surprised if INA are the OEM supplier to MB. They are part of the Schaeffler Group , along with FAG and LuK . a massive and very reputable company . As a group they are arguably the worlds largest manufacturer of bearings and associated products ( SKF would argue that they are the worlds largest ). It may be worthwhile sending the failed unit to INA uk at Sutton Coldfield as there are many counterfeit bearings being manufactured and every bona fide bearing manufacturer can confirm this. If you do not feel INA are a quality manufacturer you may want to think twice about getting in a car , boat , train or plane as they supply all of these industries. As a matter of interest where did you buy the tensioner from?

I have stopped getting parts from those large UK parts chains for the same reason Horatio has encountered.

I simply don't trust them anymore.

The last straw was when I bought a couple of Sachs shock absorbers from them for my son's previous CLK. They were poorly finished with rough edges and bumpy galvanised fittings and just didn't look right. About 6 months later, I bought another pair of Sachs shock absorbers for my E46; this time from a German supplier. They were superbly finished with smoothly plated fittings.

There were a couple of similar experiences beforehand, a belt tensioner where the tensioning nut rounded on installation and brake pads for a W168 that simply didn't fit.

Would not be surprised if INA are the OEM supplier to MB. They are part of the Schaeffler Group , along with FAG and LuK . a massive and very reputable company . As a group they are arguably the worlds largest manufacturer of bearings and associated products ( SKF would argue that they are the worlds largest ). It may be worthwhile sending the failed unit to INA uk at Sutton Coldfield as there are many counterfeit bearings being manufactured and every bona fide bearing manufacturer can confirm this. If you do not feel INA are a quality manufacturer you may want to think twice about getting in a car , boat , train or plane as they supply all of these industries. As a matter of interest where did you buy the tensioner from?
You're missing my point. I know Schaeffler/INA are a respected OEM - what I'm saying is some of the parts they are selling to ECP are vastly inferior to those sold to the MB. There's a reason it was £28!

Ironically I only changed the part as a precaution while doing a few other bits n bobs. Luckily I kept the original.

If INA were selling an inferior product to the aftermarket I think they would be highly unlikely to brand them as INA and would merely put a country of origin on the bearing. The reason it was only £28 is very simple, economies of scale. If you go to an independent motor factor they will most likely have purchased their kits from either a bearing distributor , or a trade supplier . Your local factor will have a turnover of probably less than £1,000,000. ECP purchase direct from INA , thereby cutting out the middle man. With a turnover in excess of £900, 000,000 they will have probably signed up for a basket of products from the Schaeffler Group (INA`S parent company). By buying clutches (LuK.) wheel bearings (FAG & INA ) and other products through the group they will qualify for large rebates at the end of the year. ECP are feared by the independent motor factors . As an example , in Weston - super - Mare they opened a branch next door to a factor that had been established over 20 years . Unable to compete with them , he had to close.

All i see as the "common denominator" is that all of the above have been Purchased from ECP make of that what you wish.

I own a Small Motor Factor and "We" don't fear ECP at all, They are truly awful in our area, I've been in this game for over 20 years Customer service and Quality replacements parts at competitive prices keeps our customers. And you truly do get what you pay for.

long may your success continue merc85 . Any company with multiple outlets will have some "lesser performers" , and ECP have either seen off or bought out a number of competitors which I am sure you will be aware of and they, have not built a £900,000,000 business in 25 years by being awful in every area, possibly even more since the merger with Andrew Page.The Competition and Markets Authority has been investigating claims that the ECP/Andrew Page merger could affect competition in 10 areas ( a foregone conlusion that any business merger would have some impact? ).Results due (appropriately ) on november 5th.
Having previously worked for a company that supplied several of the motor factors buying groups there has been a marked decline in the number of independent factors , sadly we had to remove imprest stock from quite a few that went by the wayside. As with many markets the internet has a huge influence on automotive products and unfortunately opens the door to suppliers of counterfeit goods.
So folks , support your local factors before they disappear along with the corner shops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom