Incident with Vodafone - GRRRR !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philirv

Car
Mercedes Benz W124 E280 Auto
With the impending laws on mobile phones in cars, I decided to get vodafone to install a hands free mobile phone kit in my car (W124)

Not wanting a hole in the roof, I specifically ordered a bumper mounted antenna.

When the guy arrived to install, he said that they had sent the wrong antenna (A glass mounted one) but that this could not be used in W124's due to interference with the airbags ! (Anyone heard of this before ??)

He only had a roof mounted aerial in his van, so I reluctantly agreed to install this in the car rather than wait a few more weeks for another date.

One hour later, the roof was dented where he had drilled, and the headliner inside no longer fitted snuggly to the roof, flopping down slightly - Grrrr !

Vodafone eventually sorted out the headliner, but the slight dent in the roof is still there.

Makesure they pay for all repair costs. Why didnt you go for a tax disc type antenna, or even no antenna at all, i rarely find having another aerial it makes reception any better...

Mercedes always recomend an external antenae

Most new car kits don't boost the signal like the old ones did....The external ariel does help by transmitting from outside of the car (less metal) - this acorrding to the guys at Braybrooks.
I went with a Bluetooth kit and bumper mount....

They also mentioned the same about screen mount areils - apparently it can set off the air bag or something ???

I just bought the car kit for my nokia without an external antenna although i could add one. To be honest signal is never a problem using just the phone antenna but then i guess it depends on network and location.

Originally posted by WLeg
Most new car kits don't boost the signal like the old ones did....The external ariel does help by transmitting from outside of the car (less metal) - this acorrding to the guys at Braybrooks.
I went with a Bluetooth kit and bumper mount....

How does the ariel work with the bluetooth kit? Mine (Nokia 112) doesn't have any ariel connection as the phone doesn't physically connect to anything.

Originally posted by RichardM
How does the ariel work with the bluetooth kit? Mine (Nokia 112) doesn't have any ariel connection as the phone doesn't physically connect to anything.

it doesnt , you can't ahve the external aerial on the cark 112

I work for Vodafone and all the work that is carried out installing the handsfree car kits are sub contracted out to various companies around the Uk depending on where you live, I must admit some of these so called installers can be very rough indeed, if you are not happy get back intouch with Vodafone and express your anger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom