Increadible Example of MB Diversity

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
Of the 440,000 cars produced in the Sindelfingen plant during 1998 only three were totally indentical...!!

Read this amazing example of MB flexibility in my Christmas present "Enduring Passion - The Story of the Mercedes-Benz Brand"

Diesel Benz

MB Enthusiast
Car
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Any idea what is counted for a difference? For sure colour, cloth/leather and all the options, what about tyre brand. US owners want to have their MB from the shop (mostly), and they have the packages, sounds odd if there were not more with the exact same specs.

I assume the VIN and engine numbers weren't the same on the three :D

OP
OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
No details, just one of the more astonishing statistics from an interview with the former plant Director, Dr Hans-Joachim Schopf illustrating the flexibilty of the (then) modern M-B plant

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
Sounds incredible, I'd have thought there'd be a few more than that? Eg, promotional cars, demonstators, standard spec W203 C classes in Silver? etc etc?

What are they counting as indentical exactly I wonder?

Will

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
What are they counting as indentical exactly I wonder?

Will
Exactly... i mean i have seen identical cars for sale on dealer forecourts... right down to the niggly options...

Many of the lease cars are exactly the same... when they have a Bank Of Scotland sale at my auction, you can get rows and rows of c220 cdi classics in silver with black cloth and all with single cd, part elec seats etc..

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
And what about taxis? Have you seen how many beige diesel W210's there are outside Frankfurt airport?? :D

Cheers,

Plug

OP
OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
This is perhaps not so remarkable as it first seems..

One would only require 10 discrete options to achieve over 3.5 million unique combinations.

I don't know how many models, engines, wheels, paint and trim combinations there were back in 1998 but I guess there would be no problem in achieving the required number of variables

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom