Increadible Example of MB Diversity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Of the 440,000 cars produced in the Sindelfingen plant during 1998 only three were totally indentical...!!

Read this amazing example of MB flexibility in my Christmas present "Enduring Passion - The Story of the Mercedes-Benz Brand"

Any idea what is counted for a difference? For sure colour, cloth/leather and all the options, what about tyre brand. US owners want to have their MB from the shop (mostly), and they have the packages, sounds odd if there were not more with the exact same specs.

I assume the VIN and engine numbers weren't the same on the three :D

No details, just one of the more astonishing statistics from an interview with the former plant Director, Dr Hans-Joachim Schopf illustrating the flexibilty of the (then) modern M-B plant

Sounds incredible, I'd have thought there'd be a few more than that? Eg, promotional cars, demonstators, standard spec W203 C classes in Silver? etc etc?

What are they counting as indentical exactly I wonder?

Will

What are they counting as indentical exactly I wonder?

Will

Exactly... i mean i have seen identical cars for sale on dealer forecourts... right down to the niggly options...

Many of the lease cars are exactly the same... when they have a Bank Of Scotland sale at my auction, you can get rows and rows of c220 cdi classics in silver with black cloth and all with single cd, part elec seats etc..

And what about taxis? Have you seen how many beige diesel W210's there are outside Frankfurt airport?? :D

Cheers,

Plug

This is perhaps not so remarkable as it first seems..

One would only require 10 discrete options to achieve over 3.5 million unique combinations.

I don't know how many models, engines, wheels, paint and trim combinations there were back in 1998 but I guess there would be no problem in achieving the required number of variables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom