Increase Speed Limits - Online Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoAMG

Car
CLS63 AMG
I’ve created a petition to proportionally increase speed limits on UK roads – please sign and share!

Click this link to sign the petition:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/107000/sponsors/64v1wBkUeyv563p7Vb

My petition:

Increase road speed limits in line with advances in car safety.

FACT - The majority of motorists do not stick to speed limits as they are outdated and unrealistic. I urge the government to survey a single carriageway and review the results. As opposed to penalising motorists, perhaps we could plagiarise a leaf out of Germany's Highway Code and introduce a limitless zone?

Perhaps this limitless zone is then controlled by traffic flow. Or perhaps lanes could have designated speeds? In any case, our highway code and accompanying legislation is outdated and impractical. An urgent review is required.

When I see some of the driving on our roads I can think of nothing worse than a "limitless zone".

The national speed limit is currently 70mph which means that people drive at nearly 80mph with impunity. An increase to 80mph would mean that you would have to drive at over 90mph before you could be prosecuted and many drivers are just not up to it.

Leave speed limits as they are.

As opposed to penalising motorists, perhaps we could plagiarise a leaf out of Germany's Highway Code and introduce a limitless zone?

Consider for a moment that Germany has a higher rate of fatalaties on its roads than the UK.

And that's despite Germany being less densely populated (maybe not for long :rolleyes:) than the UK.

So basically by taking a leaf out of the German book you're advocating making UK roads less safe.

The core issue here is how the Highway Code was concocted. For those who do not know, it was based on what the government thought was a safe speed given the average stopping distances at the time. These have, since, improved significantly. Perhaps an increase in the speed limit coupled with stricter fines? In any case, a major reform of this piece of legislation is way overdue IMHO.

I have signed, not that it will influence the Minister for Transport.
The 70mph limit is outdated, whatever speed drivers feel they can get away with on motorways.

The blocker is the resulting increase in emissions, not safety issues.

FACT - The majority of motorists do not stick to speed limits as they are outdated and unrealistic. I urge the government to survey a single carriageway and review the results. As opposed to penalising motorists, perhaps we could plagiarise a leaf out of Germany's Highway Code and introduce a limitless zone?

Perhaps this limitless zone is then controlled by traffic flow. Or perhaps lanes could have designated speeds? In any case, our highway code and accompanying legislation is outdated and impractical. An urgent review is required.

I see little in the way of actual facts just a couple of perhaps'.

If you really have created a petition you should revisit from the start and devise a campaign that could be taken seriously.

Pacamack said:
The blocker is the resulting increase in emissions, not safety issues.
if that were the case then the autobahn would have been shut down a while ago. As far as I am aware, EU emissions legislation only effect the way engines are manufactured; reduced displacement, use of catalytic converters, etc.

lewyboy said:
I see little in the way of actual facts just a couple of perhaps'. If you really have created a petition you should revisit from the start and devise a campaign that could be taken seriously.
You've lost me. The "fact" is stated at the top of the piece and the subsequent perhaps' are merely suggestions. Nevertheless, your input is valued and your annotations have been taken on board.

MoAMG said:
if that were the case then the autobahn would have been shut down a while ago. As far as I am aware, EU emissions legislation only effect the way engines are manufactured; reduced displacement, use of catalytic converters, etc.

The issue isn't with engine emissions as such, it's with the overall EU clean air target for the UK. Our targets are quite stringent so anything that will increase emissions comes under close scrutiny. This is why ministers backed away from recent proposals to increase limits and why there has also been talk of reducing speed limits on certain motorways at certain times of the day.

The issue isn't with engine emissions as such, it's with the overall EU clean air target for the UK. Our targets are quite stringent so anything that will increase emissions comes under close scrutiny. This is why ministers backed away from recent proposals to increase limits and why there has also been talk of reducing speed limits on certain motorways at certain times of the day.

Factor in that oil prices will eventually rise (to who knows what level) allied to the sharp decline in fuel economy around the 90mph mark and given GB is a net importer of oil - you also have a balance of payments issue.

Of all the things that need attending to in the country, raising the speed limit isn't even tenth on the list.

Pacamack said:
I'd like to see some facts and figures as to how vehicle emissions "increase" with increased carriageway speeds.

Bellow said:
Factor in that oil prices will eventually rise (to who knows what level) allied to the sharp decline in fuel economy around the 90mph mark and given GB is a net importer of oil - you also have a balance of payments issue. Of all the things that need attending to in the country, raising the speed limit isn't even tenth on the list.
Who said anything about 90mph? I'm merely campaigning for a review of outdated legislation. As a petrolhead and keen AMG fanatic, this petition was never intended to address any other prevailing issues. Nor do I believe that one petition could ever change the world. As for your assertions around decreased fuel economy, as suggested, if the speed limit is increased proportionally, I doubt you would see any significant drops in fuel economy.

I'd like to see some facts and figures as to how vehicle emissions "increase" with increased carriageway speeds.

Is it not something as simple as to maintain a higher speed , the engine needs to turn faster , in turn more fuel is burnt , so emissions go up ?

At 70mph my cls is sitting at about 2500 rpm , at 90 it is at nearly 3000.

Fuel economy drops , because more fuel is being burnt to hold the higher speed

I was on the M62 today and decided I'd drive at 65-70mph.

I sat in the inside lane and, over the distance of around eight miles, was overtaken by everyone, I knew it was time to shuffle when I had a lorry up my jacksie...

Beetnik said:
The first thing I notice is how old the article is. Which renders this article irrelevant. We can all play bash the OP here but you seem to be missing the point. I am campaigning for a review of the Highway Code and accompanying statues, period. If an increase in motorway speed is agreed, then so be it.

Howard said:
Is it not something as simple as to maintain a higher speed , the engine needs to turn faster , in turn more fuel is burnt , so emissions go up ? At 70mph my cls is sitting at about 2500 rpm , at 90 it is at nearly 3000. Fuel economy drops , because more fuel is being burnt to hold the higher speed
The algorithm is a little more complex than that I'm afraid. However, I am unsure where the "90" mph figure originates from?

SPX said:
I was on the M62 today and decided I'd drive at 65-70mph. I sat in the inside lane and, over the distance of around eight miles, was overtaken by everyone, I knew it was time to shuffle when I had a lorry up my jacksie...
I've done that a few times and nearly everyone overtook me too!

The algorithm is a little more complex than that I'm afraid. However, I am unsure where the "90" mph figure originates from?

I just picked a figure out of the air that I would hypothetically drive at.

Thought it might be a bit more complex lol :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom