Increase Speed Limits - Online Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Consider for a moment that Germany has a higher rate of fatalaties on its roads than the UK.

Interesting to see the data for the countries we drive through on the way to the in-laws:

Motorway speed limits (kph)
France 130
Germany 130 (unless unrestricted)
Belgium 120
Netherlands 120
UK 113

Fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year
Belgium 7.2
France 4.9
Germany 4.3
Netherlands 3.9
UK 3.5

Fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles
France 8.5
Belgium 8.0
Germany 6.9
Netherlands 6.9
UK 6.2

Fatalities per billion vehicle kilometres
Belgium 7.7
France 6.3
Netherlands 4.9
Germany 4.9
UK 4.3

The German data is from 2013 though, since when a fair bit more autobahn has been restricted.

You've lost me. The "fact" is stated at the top of the piece and the subsequent perhaps' are merely suggestions. Nevertheless, your input is valued and your annotations have been taken on board.

Your initial post:

FACT - The majority of motorists do not stick to speed limits

If you are going to start shouting about facts you need some evidence to back them up. How have you decided that it's a fact that most motorists don't stick to the speed limits?

Politicians will need some of the other facts, you know the ones that you haven't just decided are facts.

Maybe you should have done some research first?

The first thing I notice is how old the article is. Which renders this article irrelevant. We can all play bash the OP here but you seem to be missing the point. I am campaigning for a review of the Highway Code and accompanying statues, period. If an increase in motorway speed is agreed, then so be it.

You asked to see some facts and figures as to how vehicle emissions "increase" with increased carriageway speeds. I pointed you in the right direction. How is this 'bashing the OP'?

The article may be a few years old but that doesn't render science irrelevant.

I was on the M62 today and decided I'd drive at 65-70mph.

I sat in the inside lane and, over the distance of around eight miles, was overtaken by everyone, I knew it was time to shuffle when I had a lorry up my jacksie...

I drive at around 65 fairly often (when towing the caravan) and it's astonishing how many people in normal cars like BMWs/Audis/Mercs etc. drive slower than that on a quiet motorway!

Interesting to see the data for the countries we drive through on the way to the in-laws:

Motorway speed limits (kph)
France 130
Germany 130 (unless unrestricted)
Belgium 120
Netherlands 120
UK 113

Fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year
Belgium 7.2
France 4.9
Germany 4.3
Netherlands 3.9
UK 3.5

Fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles
France 8.5
Belgium 8.0
Germany 6.9
Netherlands 6.9
UK 6.2

Fatalities per billion vehicle kilometres
Belgium 7.7
France 6.3
Netherlands 4.9
Germany 4.9
UK 4.3

The German data is from 2013 though, since when a fair bit more autobahn has been restricted.

To paraphrase Ralph Nader - Belgians, unsafe at any speed...

lewyboy said:
Your initial post: FACT - The majority of motorists do not stick to speed limits If you are going to start shouting about facts you need some evidence to back them up. How have you decided that it's a fact that most motorists don't stick to the speed limits? Politicians will need some of the other facts, you know the ones that you haven't just decided are facts. Maybe you should have done some research first?
We all know, virtually everyone exceeds the speed limit. It's just one of those facts of life. The question is, has anyone ever bothered carrying out a study in to this? No! And even if they have and it doesn't fit in your politicians agenda, do you really think they will commission any further investigations?!

Beetnik said:
You asked to see some facts and figures as to how vehicle emissions "increase" with increased carriageway speeds. I pointed you in the right direction. How is this 'bashing the OP'? The article may be a few years old but that doesn't render science irrelevant.
technology advances on a daily basis! So an article from nearly 10 years ago is ineligible.

technology advances on a daily basis! So an article from nearly 10 years ago is ineligible.

This is a fair point. Any debate on speed limits that does not take into account the fact that modern cars are much safer than their predecessor is just flawed...IMHO at least.

There must be something in this increasing the limit, the government have increased the limits for trucks on rural roads and motorways, so why not for cars! It was found in the U.S. That raising the limit from 55 to 70mph actually reduced the accident rates

I'd like to see some facts and figures as to how vehicle emissions "increase" with increased carriageway speeds.

Basic physics and chemistry at school would make this obvious.

Last edited:
Dryce said:
Basic physics and chemistry at school whould make this obvious.
Physicists and chemists struggle to make sense of it all till this day so I doubt it would be something that a teenager would learn in school. I certainly didn't and I have a first class BSc...

Last edited:
Physicists and chemists struggle to make sense of it all till this day so I doubt it would be something a teenager would learn in school. I certainly didn't and I have a first class BSc...

You're giving the disinct impression that you don't really know much about any of this.

Notice I used the term 'basic' in front of 'physics and chemistry'. It was there for a reason.

Your understanding of the status of the highway code also seems somewhat suspect. It's a publication that provides guidance and advice - some of which is derived from relevant legislation. Campaigning to change the highway code is irrelevant.

Physicists and chemists struggle to make sense of it all till this day so I doubt it would be something that a teenager would learn in school. I certainly didn't and I have a first class BSc...

Fine; continue to ignore/deny anything which doesn't suit your purpose. Oh, and your petition will undoubtedly fail.

The last thing I want is people driving even faster past my house.

I need more encouragement to reduce my speed, not increase it.

Speed awareness course really helped me observe residential speed limits. It's country roads and motorways I need to conquer next.

BTB 500 said:
I drive at around 65 fairly often (when towing the caravan) and it's astonishing how many people in normal cars like BMWs/Audis/Mercs etc. drive slower than that on a quiet motorway!

The sweet spot for mpg seems to sit between 55-60 mph so I often drive at this sort of speed with the cruise control if it's really quiet and I'm in no particular rush.

UK roads upto it?

Seriously as much as id like the Speed limit increased for the odd occasion i do want to drive quicker i really dont think it would be a good idea.

Alot of motorists imho are not upto it, and our road network certainly isn't either, Pot holes everywhere and outdated and unsafe signage and road furniture.

Dryce said:
You're giving the disinct impression that you don't really know much about any of this. Notice I used the term 'basic' in front of 'physics and chemistry'. It was there for a reason. Your understanding of the status of the highway code also seems somewhat suspect. It's a publication that provides guidance and advice - some of which is derived from relevant legislation. Campaigning to change the highway code is irrelevant.
Am I missing something here? There's absolutely no need to patronise me. If you don't like the topic, I'm sure you can find another thread to hijack! Your opinion has been duly noted and I do not intend on discussing this matter further with individuals who refuse to acknowledge and appreciate the opinions of others. I am well aware of the legislation and have referred to it a few times throughout this thread so I do not see where you are going with this?

Beetnik said:
Fine; continue to ignore/deny anything which doesn't suit your purpose. Oh, and your petition will undoubtedly fail.
thank you for your opinion. For the avoidance of doubt, I do not intend on failing; I never have and never will.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom