Increasing bhp in a c180k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobertoMercini

Car
E250 BlueEff Coupe
Having been on this forum a little while now, and viewed several threads in relation to my query - it goes a little like this. How much more bhp could I potentially get from my C180K Coupe without spending thousands?

I know there are insurance implications too so would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually done anything similar

Cheeaars

Good question...sourced one of these for Madame Renault and I'm interested in a little more power.

more to the point, my avatar tells everyone what the car is. Fail x 2

I knew what the K stood for, I never tire of telling folk :D

On a petrol kompressor engine, not much without spending many £k. A smaller pulley and a remap to start and then headers, cam, etc.. Not cheap!

Well the M271 engine is available in several tune levels ranging from 122bhp through 143bhp, 156bhp, 192bhp, and 200+bhp... mine is 143bhp, presumably yours is the same? in general this is achieved through higher boost from the (larger) Kompressor combined with lower compression ratio. But this means new engine and ECU, at the very least, so not really cheap... and the brakes... I think your best bet is a remap, if anyone can recommend a reputable firm? You and I are sadly in the lower end of the market (180k), most of the remap advertisements are aimed at AMGs and such like... let me know how you get on, I'll be interested to know.

Not really a lot you can do with this engine, first and cheapest fit a high flow panel filter such as K&N or Green, Pipercross etc.. this will get you 3 - 4 bhp. Next is the exhaust swap for a performance one and gain another 5 - 6 bhp. A pulley upgrade is next on the list but you are now starting to get expensive.

My 230K had Brabus K1 Kit fitted when it was new and that only raised the bhp from 197 to 220 at a cost of around £3k

Well the M271 engine is available in several tune levels ranging from 122bhp through 143bhp, 156bhp, 192bhp, and 200+bhp... mine is 143bhp, presumably yours is the same? in general this is achieved through higher boost from the (larger) Kompressor combined with lower compression ratio. But this means new engine and ECU, at the very least, so not really cheap... and the brakes... I think your best bet is a remap, if anyone can recommend a reputable firm? You and I are sadly in the lower end of the market (180k), most of the remap advertisements are aimed at AMGs and such like... let me know how you get on, I'll be interested to know.

Won't let me thank you, but, well thanks. I don't think I have the budget to do what I'd like - shame really as I love the C Coupe (not the new shape though) maybe I'll have to wait for my next pay rise and get myself an AMG :eek::)

Some here say that SprintBooster can make the car feel faster... I considered it but decided not to go for it though.

Thankfully I was never one for 0-60 times (the top speed is handsome for the C180K, if I ever get a chance to hit it) so I'll keep on basking in the MB goodness until I feel the need... the need for....

Resign yourself to the power you have (for now) & just enjoy the ride:)

Cheapest way to up the power is to swap car for a C200K sometime! My older C230K goes well:D
Similar info here

most of the remap advertisements are aimed at AMGs and such like...

Not really. Take Brabus for instance. They offer lots of power upgrade programs for regular Mercedes cars and a very few, if at all, for AMG ones.

That said, if one can justify spending £700 for +25 HP gain, one should give Brabus and or Kleemann a call. They should be able to help.

I found that most of the ECU upgrades were aimed at the diesels.
From what I have read, remaps seem to offer a mostly subjective gain & the results are rather open to interpretation dependant on how they are tested on the rolling roads, with modest, if any, consistent improvement in performance if this is done in isolation(ie without high flow filter/exhaust/cams etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom