Increasing outside tap pressure !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sye73

Hi all - Wondered if anyone knew of some kind of pump that would up the pressure on my outside tap ? At the moment washing the car takes forever ! I've seen a kind of in-line pump intended for use with water butts, but unsure if I could use it for another purpose.
Thanks in advance

I don't think you're allowed to pump water out of the main. I imagine you could use a pump of the type used in a power shower if it's fed from a tank, though.

Don't outside taps have to have some kind of non-return valve fitted? Might be worth checking yours, if you have one.

Last edited:
Is your water pressure generally OK i.e. at the kitchen tap? If so it's worth checking out how the outside tap is plumbed in, if via a "DIY" fitting that may restrict the flow. As mentioned, if the tap has a non-return valve (as all are meant to now) that will restrict the flow a little too. Non-return valves can also be damaged by frost, that may cause a problem.

If none of the above apply then it sounds like you need a pressure washer, but of course they need a decent flow rate anyway.

The water pressure at my old house was dire, e.g. on a lawn sprinkler I had to block half the holes to get enough pressure to spin the little rotor thingy. And yes, washing the car took ages.

I had same problem. Karcher on low power solves the problem :D

Is your water pressure generally OK i.e. at the kitchen tap? If so it's worth checking out how the outside tap is plumbed in, if via a "DIY" fitting that may restrict the flow.

I have one of the DIY ones fitted to the pipe under the kitchen sink, easy to fit and good Pressure. My pressure from the cold taps is quite good though...

suppose if you setup some sort of ballcock system on a waterbut to keep filling it up and then put a pump onto the waterbut.. could work !

however , the principle of a combi boiler works with a pump and that runs off the mains , so you must be able to attach one.

Don't get confused with low pressure and low flow. It may well be that your outside tap has insufficient flow not low pressure. You can turn a tap almost off, to reduce the flow, but the pressure will always remain the same. If you have a low flow rate, you will need to use a pump on a water butt as the pump will probably deliver more water that your system can supply. If it is low pressure, but good flow, there is no problem using a pump off the mains.

fuzzer: Not sure what kind of boiler you're thinking of, but on my combi boiler there is no pump in the domestic hot water supply. There's a pump for the central heating, of course, but that's not connected to the water main.

Wow - I think I've just realised how nieve I am when it comes to water and heating systems !! Thanks for all your input and thoughts guys : Best I go and read-up...

It is likely to be the double check valve causing the restriction, maybe a new one might work better.

You are not allowed to pump any mains connected water outlet, so forget that idea.

The pressure on my outside tap has recently become worse so maybe I need to fit a new check valve. If that doesn't work i might fit two in parallel.

As mentioned, the one-way valve can be damaged by frost (jammed partially or even fully shut) so if it's a screw-on one it's always worth looking at that first.

Several water companies have been in the news recently for lowering their supply pressure btw, presumably to reduce leakage/loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom