Increasing RAM on an oldskool motherboard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Im still using my trusty ASUS P4S800 1.8ghz Motherboard for my PC. (Since 2004 - my own build). and I have finally increased the RAM from 512mb :eek: to 768mb & already I its loads faster.

I have another spare RAM stick with another 128mb on it & I want to take it up to 1GB RAM, only problem is I have run out of ports.

Its it possible to get dual bridge adaptors so I can piggyback this (and other) sticks into the board?

As far as I know It uses DDR333 memory, anyone know If I can use 400 on it aswell?

Thanks in advance.

You could use bigger chips, rather than 128mb you could use 512mb.

Don't think you can piggy-back.

Does your MB (Mother Board - not Mercedes-Benz) take SD-RAM, DDR-RAM or DDR2?? I'm sure SD-RAM goes upto 512mb sticks DDR-RAM 1GB & DDR2 2GB per stick

Found this about my MB:

DDR400 (PC3200) Support
DDR400 (PC3200), the latest and fastest DDR memory standard, supports bandwidth up to 3.2GB/s to provide enhanced system performance. (Note: PC2100/PC1600 up to 3 DIMMs; PC3200/PC2700 up to 2 DIMMs; 1GB PC3200/2700 with 32 DDR chips up to 1 DIMM only)

Last edited:
DDR is the chip type, 333 is the MHZ which i think is the speed the RAM works at, so 400MHZ would be faster. I don't think you can mix & match

I recently bought a whole new pc in bits from various places on the internet for £400, quad core 2.33ghz, 8GB RAM, gigabyte motherboard, 1TB hard drive 896MB nVidia grahpics card, 650Watt power supply (mainly cuz of the HUGE graphics card requirement) and a badass case. Without the gfx card it'd be under £300. You can consider this too!

I was running on a computer i built in 2003, 1.6ghz AMD athalon processor with Geforce gfx and sound blaster live sound card etc. I had 2x 1GB DDR400's on it and it ran like a dream, i think each chip cost me a tenner at best, try aria.co.uk or ebuyer.com

PS. As the poster above says, you cant mix and match, all of them have to be the same speed

i built a similar system which i am still using, asus p4ge board 1.8 ghz with ddr333 memory, with only 2 memory slots i have 1 gig in one and 256meg in other, runs ok for what i need
fitting 400 memory would make it unstable
reading between the lines you have 2 memory slots, 1 with 512 and tother with 256
i went to a local computer fair and bought the 1 gig stick for £15
i have a spare 256mb you could have for nowt but i dont think you have anywhere to plug it in :(

Adam Your setup sounds a little like mine but without the massive Graphic cards

AMD Phenom X4 2.2Ghz,
8GB-800MHZ,
2X500GB HDD,
but only a 256MB Graphic card

Thanks for all your replies guys...

I cant afford a new PC at the mo, too many other things need ££££ first :(

The Motherboard has 3x ports - all have 256mb sticks in at the mo.

What do the panel think about THIS ?

It did have a Radeon 9800pro fitted until I started getting strange noises and crashes...

Last edited:
Check that your board chipset and bios can support that amount of memory. You can sometimes mix memory of different speeds but the system defaults to the slower speed of the two.

Check that your board chipset and bios can support that amount of memory. You can sometimes mix memory of different speeds but the system defaults to the slower speed of the two.

Post #3 has details as to what my MB can handle... looks like it would be ok doesnt it?

I think the last part means I can fit 1x 1gb card doesnt it?

Anyone confirm that I can, indeed fit that card & go ahead and buy it?

Go to crucial.com and run the scanning tool.
That will 'recommend' upgrades and they are quite cheap and very reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom