Incredibly Expensive W123 Estate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With £85K to spend on a car I'm afraid a W123, any W123, would be a very, very long way down the list.

neilrr said:
With £85K to spend on a car I'm afraid a W123, any W123, would be a very, very long way down the list.

I am going to guess its one he did for MB museum... He is recognised as the master in Germany too. Though the £85k might be embellished.

It was Scott_F said it was three times overpriced... Which means I am going to arrange to meet up with him and buy his car off him for a lot less money than it's worth!

I've got £21k to spend on a classic, low-mileage Mercedes in top condition that will be used as a special car for sunny weekends.

Do I look at the wide range of handsome saloons, coupes, cabrios and roadsters from the 1960's to the 1980's that look a million dollars in colour schemes that complement their lines beautifully ?

Of course I don't ! What I crave is a boxy, bottle green W123 estate with a notchy old manual gearbox, an unrefined, underpowered old diesel lump, no kerb appeal whatsoever and an interior that will induce a bout of car sickness before I even start the engine.

The best £21k I've never spent but don't let me hold you back as I'd hate you to miss out on this one.

^^Oh and the real icing on the cake would be if I could have one with the steering wheel on the wrong side for that authentic Hamburg taxi feel please.

Just off to see what I can buy cheap and sell as a "collectors item".

Although I did sell a pair of old Oakley sunglasses as "retro" for £65 which I was dead chuffed about so who knows!

Scott_FFS mate ...

You're arguing with yourself. It will sell. Neither of us want to buy it. I would spend my cash elsewhere too... That will never mean someone else doesn't want to hand over their card and drive away pleased...

Scott_F said:
Do I look at the wide range of handsome saloons, coupes, cabrios and roadsters from the 1960's to the 1980's that look a million dollars in colour schemes that complement their lines beautifully ? Of course I don't !.

^^^

PS well done for being able to list all sorts of cars. Do you know that some people like estates, like W123s, etc and might spend their money on them?

As above - you are arguing with yourself...

PPS - I still want to meet and buy your car off you if you think this one's three times overpriced..

I can see a very low mileage & excellent example 280TE in a good colour combo & good spec making 20K all day long. Possibly all the better if it's a left hooker too.

As for one being sold for 85K, can't comment other than it sure wouldn't be difficult to spend 40k on parts, panels, trim & reconditioning and an easy 20k on labour, plus sundries, plus the cost of the original car and a profit on the sale. Doesn't take long to add up.

Last edited:
The very same trader is constantly selling motors at that level, generally fab low mileage german motors. I've seen plenty that i would love to own - this however is not one of them!! :eek:

Despite the dreadful colour it will still achieve close to 20k imo...

Mileage and condition makes a huge difference - i agree though, does seem like they are a mile apart but those guys selling the expensive one seem to have a habit of finding absolute gems...

4Star cars look good certainly. Experience teaches me that appearances can and do deceive.

108k miles.

I spent the summer in a W124 estate - not confined - using!

For the last month I've been driving a couple of 123's.

The first two trips I felt slightly wary - not unsafe at all - but aware I'd dropped back a decade or so; there is a marked difference and that's the first time I've truly felt a it so acutely because I used the 124 almost exclusively for three months.

Trip three and the old familiarity returned, back in my favourite slippers or similar, the precision of the 124 forgotten completely.

In a fire I'd save the 123.

I'm a very big fan of both Father and Son, but when I get into a 123 I sense it's wagging it's tail and when I open the door of the 124 I think it's simply waiting to obey orders.

No shame in either. Admirable traits!

The 108k miles is the value differential. Low mileage is what makes investment and collectibility potential... 3 times the price for just about s third of the mileage...

It's about that love of low owners, low miles, etc... But those period colours are a bit of an eyeful! Personally I looked for ages for a nice W124 with sub-100k miles in good old plain white with black leather...

I prefer a car that has been used a little rather than under-used, but for a museum/collector type I agree.

You could buy that 8k one and put the engine and tranny you wanted into it and still be well in front.

It looks just as good or almost so. I would have thought that if it's in a museum, it's the condition that scores the most.

I've a pair of 124's, one with 300k and the other with 200k.

I believe it's not the miles, it's the number of starts that contributes most.

The 200k makes no smoke, shifts seamlessly and is virtually silent - both 24v TD.

Whilst we disagree on some of this, I must say, I'd like your car!

PS well done for being able to list all sorts of cars. Do you know that some people like estates, like W123s, etc and might spend their money on them?

Some people like beige Austin Maxis but they wouldn't spend £21k on one.

PPS - I still want to meet and buy your car off you if you think this one's three times overpriced..

And if you think that it isn't overpriced then I want to meet you and sell you my car - I've got a special price in mind just for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom