Indicators fast flashing for no apparent reason

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NICO

Car
C220 CDI 04Reg (2004), & A140 SReg (1998)
Hello, I recently had a issue with my W203 (C-class 2004). For no apparent reason, the indicator lights fast flashed when the car was parked and locked.

Looking at previous posts, I narrowed the problem down to a faulty siren (Alarm horn). At this stage, I would like to thank Wully and CLKman for their posts in 2008.

Anyway, I unplugged the siren that is located behind the wheel arch of the passenger side (Also known as splash shield). I monitored it for a week and the problem has disappeared.

So I bought a new siren from my local MB dealer (for £74), installed it and everything is back to how it was!

For those who have a similar issue and would like to do the repair themselves (my understanding is that it is fairly common), I have attached some pictures that may help them to do it.

Please note that the new siren purchased from MB was designed differently than the original one I removed. I had to use a M8 washer and bolt to hold it. The original one was using a M8 Screw

In few steps.

1- Remove front left wheel.
2- Remove back part of the wheel arch (5 bolts, 2 screws, 2 push pins).
attachment.php

attachment.php

3- Unplug siren.
4- Free siren from its holding bracket (M8 screw).
attachment.php

5- Install new siren, put back arch and wheel.

Hope this will help someone. Cheers, Nico.

Attachments

• Overall view.JPG
    Overall view.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Alarm location.JPG
    Alarm location.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Alarm.JPG
    Alarm.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,246
Great post very useful
Do you still have the part number to post it may be useful

Hello Nigel cross, Checking the invoice from the MB dealer the part number is marked MA219 820 32 26 G050403 [028]. the old part is stamped A1718202526 and I could not sourced it on the internet from any of the big car parts web sites.

Hello Alibally, I did not have it coded, just fitted it.

I glad you found this post usefull, that was worth a small part of my long Easter week-end.

I have the same symptoms and having searched the threads found this post which clarifies the situation and the pictures will help when I remove the old one.

Many thanks

Mind you I find it amazing that the warning signal that the siren batteries are getting low, by flashing the indicators, does not have a cut off as when it happened to my car it flashed for so long it flattened the main battery enough that it would not start.

What clown designed that?

just had the same problem on my C220 CDI coupe.. i went for the take the siren off and i'll buy one later or i'll wait until something cheap comes on Ebay, as the car immobilizer still works and all the doors lock with the key and i'm not selling her i don't see the point in spending £80 plus at the mercedes dealer... just a thought, thanks for the pictures BTW, great post, it really helped me out

Had the same thing on my post facelift 04 C180K, managed to get a siren off eBay for £20, now just need to get round to fitting it. Interestingly mine only seems to show the fault when facing downhill. I've had to start reversing onto my drive to alleviate the problem! Thanks for the pics, they'll help when I get round to the fitting.

thanks for this great info and photoes.
I'm wondering if I need also to change the siren on my W203 pre face lift: mine make a bip when I open/close the doors (the famous Nederland setted via Star Diagnosys) and since a couple of days the bip sound is strange, like hoarse:(

Dou you think this may me a symptom?
Furthermore, is it needed to recode the new siren to the Dealer, I've read something on this matter?

Thanks a lot for any info:)

Just had a new siren fitted to my 211. The 'coding' is only necessary if you dont want it to 'blip' three or four times on activation. Otherwise it will work straight from the box.

thanks.

Any idea about my other question:

"mine make a bip when I open/close the doors (the famous Nederland setted via Star Diagnosys) and since a couple of days the bip sound is strange, like hoarse"

Dou you think this may me a symptom of a siren going out of order?

another thankyou

Solved my problem great post

Had the exact same problem. Changed the siren today in my W203 with the help of this post. Thanks

I've noticed my hazards flashing a couple of times now, with no siren goin off.

Will this get worse/more often ?
Once the new one is fitted , Will the car blip each time i lock it ? It doesn't at the moment.
If I need a M8 bolt to fit the new one - What length bolt will i need ?

Thanks guys ;)

Hi,
When I replaced mine it was held by a T30 torx screw (security type, with the protrusion in the centre), no need to replace it, it can be reused. In the case of my car, when the siren was replaced it beeped when locking/unlocking, it can be turned off by STAR, or the later cars maybe able to turn the function off in the cluster menu. The reason why they beep when changing the siren is apparently the new ones have revised software.

Aletank said:
I've noticed my hazards flashing a couple of times now, with no siren goin off.

Will this get worse/more often ?
Once the new one is fitted , Will the car blip each time i lock it ? It doesn't at the moment.
If I need a M8 bolt to fit the new one - What length bolt will i need ?

Thanks guys ;)

Mine seemed to get worse as time passed.

After I changed my siren last week I gained the audible chirps on locking/unlocking the door.

The siren I ordered was A2198203226 this has a bolt protruding from it, so you need to buy a nut also to attach it. I asked the guy on the parts desk for the nut and it cost me £1.25.

My alarm (siren & flashers ) was going off before.
Has anyone else had the siren goin off & replacing the siren has fixed it ?
Thanks ;)

Aletank said:
My alarm (siren & flashers ) was going off before.
Has anyone else had the siren goin off & replacing the siren has fixed it ?
Thanks ;)

100% the siren.

Another one fixed today, Siren replaced :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom