indicators only work sometimes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

satumashirt611

Car
mercedes e220
doing the school run yesterday and all was fine until coming home when my indicators wouldnt operate at all or even the hazard lights.no clicking when you indicate either.made it home safely and they started working fine again.same thing today.any ideas.guessing its something loose but weather too bad to check yet.

Help us out a bit here: what car? Your profile says E220 - but what type (or year if you don't know).

I think they all do that.

I looked at the bulbs on mine and they come on, then go off, then come back on again and go off.

I think this is normal. :rolleyes:

If it's a 124 there is a relay that deals with indicators, wipers and IIRC heated rear screen. I had a similar problem and cleaning the contacts in this, and all the fuses in the fuse box, made it go away.

As above its likely to be the relay or fuse. The ceramic fuses deteriorate over time. They can look fine but give all sorts of odd problems. If you are unsure as to how old they are then its worth changing them all and cleaning the contacts at the same time.

the notorious N10 relay probably.

there are a few links on here that detail a fix - easy DIY if you get a small solder

If you are replacing all the fuses (well worth doing IMO) be wary of the cheapies on ebay. I got a bag of these and most of them just blew. Ended up buying some (still cheap) from a motor factors. No issues at all with those. As said above clean all the contacts while you are at it. Take a pic on your mobile phone with the fuses in situ, if like me you are likely to forget the exact order of replacement.

FYI: The ebay ones were made of plastic and not ceramic. Not sure why this would cause them to blow but blow they did. The replacements were ceramic.

i replaced all the fuses with proper ones and cleaned the contacts and nothing.the rear demister dosent work either.will have a look for the n10 relay fix
thanks everyone

DELIGHTED,FOUND THE GUIDE ON SOLDERING THE RELAY AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY(so far,its been few minutes).IF IT STAYS IT WILL BE EXCELENT.WILL UPDATE LATER...THANKS EVERYONE..WHEN I TOOK OUT THE RELAY AND LOOKED AT IT IT LOOKED OK EVEN WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS BUT I PUT BIT OF SOLDER ON ANYWAY AND PUT IT IN AND WORKED GREAT.VERY HAPPY WITH THIS QUICK FIX...

spoke too soon,problem is back......will resolder it again tomorow to be sure.....is there anything else it might be...and how much for n10 relay

Which joint did you solder?
If you aren’t experienced at soldering, it will be worth getting someone with experience to do it… you can make a balls of it very easy.
Is this the guide that you used?… N10 Relay, Soldering Repair, Wiper - Indicators & Hazards - Rear Window Demister. - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Dec

N104.jpg

James,

If you need a replacement N10 relay I have them.

Check your email.

ya thats the bit i soldered,im experienced soldering,did it for work for a few years ago.

Is your intermittent wiper, setting 1, failing at the same time as the indicators/hazards?

Dec

Indicators are for lazy people. In my day we had to stop, get out of the car and wave in the general direction we intended to go; thus showing common courtesy to other road users. It's a disgrace that hand signals are no longer taught and for this I blame women and Italians.

Indicators are for lazy people. In my day we had to stop, get out of the car and wave in the general direction we intended to go; thus showing common courtesy to other road users. It's a disgrace that hand signals are no longer taught and for this I blame women and Italians.

Funny, but if Clarkson had said it we would be in for a national debate. :eek:

In my case, when the N10 failed, intermittently, I lost INTERMITENT wipers, speed 1 (not speeds 2 and 3) the indicators and hazards and rear screen demister, you seem to have 2 out of 3 faults so was wondering about the INTERMITENT wiper as you don’t mention it. I take it that you suspected the same joint failure as in my picture?

Dec

N104.jpg

ya was raining today and when the problem started the intermitent wipers didnt work either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom