indicators stay on & don't flash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnocosworth

Hi,

First (of probably many) post on here,

I have just bought a 1997 230 slk, and really do love it, but the one problem that I have at the minute is that the indicators don't flash. They come on and stay on, the hazards lights also behave in the same way (ie just stay on and not flash)

Any ideas? also where are the relays on this car? I can find the fuses, but not the relay or flasher unit.

Many thanks
John

I had the same problem with my 98 SLK 230 but it went away.

Not much help I know but it sounds like the same problem.

John

Can't really help with you problem as I don't have an SLK but welcome to the forum.

I think you're right (in what I presume you're own diagnosis) - it does sound like a sticking relay. Unless things have changed dramatically since I used to tinker with cars the indicator systems are pretty simple.

The indicator relay is in a box next to the fuse box in the engine bay (probably). If you're lucky the relay will be isolated and cheap, if you're unlucky it will be a combined relay for a few functions.

If I remember I will look it up later in the catalogue.

Having done a quick search of other forums the posts indicate the relays should be in/near the fuse box - hope this helps

M...u...s...t l...e...a...r...n t...o t...y...p...e q...u...i...c...k...e...r

Thanks for the replies,

I went out in the car this morning and they worked fine!!! so Plodd, your idea worked best.

John

johnnocosworth said:
I went out in the car this morning and they worked fine!!! so Plodd, your idea worked best.
Excellent news :)

I've not looked up the part number yet, but if you wanted and it was cheap you could buy one "just in case".

Back again! went out this afternoon with working indicators, did some shopping and got back in the car and they just stay on again!!! I thought that it was my TVR that acted like this (which is why I got rid of it!).

Shude, if you could find the part number, I would be very grateful,

Thanks
John

John, have you tried wiggling the relay, it might be something as simple as a dodgy connection....

As previously listed by the erstwhile and knowledgeable guys above, I would lay a pound to a penny on this one that it's the flasher relay up the swanee ;) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom