Indicators W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bosco

Car
260E Auto
BMW owners can stop reading now, this topic concerns mythical flashing orange lights which some people claim to have seen at the corners of some vehicles and won't interest you.

I drive a 1991 W124 and I can't see the green arrows which show that the indicator is in use, the steering wheel blocks my vision as it does of half the speedometer but that is another issue. If I have the window open for ventilation or alternatively the AC fan is on I can't hear the clicking of the relay. So unless I take excessive care I can sometimes drive unknowingly with my indicator still on. Has anybody come up with a solution to this problem?

You could remove the steering wheel so you can see better. :D

Ok being serious now, if it is realy bothering you that much.
A neat way round the problem would be to wire up 2 of the spare lights at the bottom of the dash cluster as indicator repeaters. The bulbs holders just push into the back of the cluster.

Not having this problem some of these might be along the lines of Carat's 'remove the steering wheel' as i'm making 'em up as i go...

1. Join the rest of the brain dead majority and just stop using indicators- i'm pretty sure i'm wasting my time using them most of the time in that it feels as though mirror - signal - manoeuvre has been replaced by manoeurve then maybe either signal or look. Never both though :crazy:
2. Use the position of the indicator stalk as a tell tale
3. Adjust the seat height so you can see the clocks properly. Based on point 1 readjustment of the mirrors after moving the seat is optional
4. Use it as an excuse to buy a shiney new steering wheel in a different size

The repeater lights at the bottom of the dash is a very clever idea. I might give that a go although I'm a bit wary of problems I might encounter with the speedo cable.

The repeater lights at the bottom of the dash is a very clever idea. I might give that a go although I'm a bit wary of problems I might encounter with the speedo cable.

Gently pull the dash cluster towards you untill you can get your hand behind it, then unscrew the cable. It only has a brass twist ring.

R107 owners suffer from the same problem because of the wind noise and the 'click' being very faint anyway. My solution is to fit two piezo buzzers in parallel with the L/R indicator circuits. The resistance of these is so small as to not affect the flash rate.

Similar to, but not necessarily, this one...

12V Leaded Piezo Indicator : Buzzers & Sounders : Maplin Electronics

Sometimes annoying but definately audible.

Last edited:
merc may do a louder sounding relay - go into merc dealer parts dept

there are many parts that were used for taxis - perhaps one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom