Indicators/wipers failure after journey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mun35

Car
C200
Hi

I have a Mercedes 1995 C180 which is giving me a headache. The problem is a recent one, and is basically that the indicators and wipers sometimes fail. The strange thing is that the problem only surfaces when I've been driving the car (for 20mins+), shut it down and then tried to start it again (for instance going to the supermarket). And the likeliness of this happening depends on for how long I've been driving the car. Both the indicators and wipers would fail. Sometimes the wipers would kick in even without being manually triggered (there's no rain sensor on the car). It'd take a few tries to switch them off.

Any thought appreciated.

Check your fuses.
You will almost certainly find that one is broken (not blown) at it's thinnest point.
It happens as they get old.

Check your fuses.
You will almost certainly find that one is broken (not blown) at it's thinnest point.
It happens as they get old.

I see. Sorry, I'm very new and have very little experience. How do I check a fuse? Do I check the resistance across it with a multimeter?

Physically remove it and inspect it. You should see the break.

Physically remove it and inspect it. You should see the break.

I see. Given that when the indicators go out, the wipers also go. Could it be some relay instead? Don't indicators and wipers have separate fuses?

Thanks

It could be a number of things, but the fuses are a known weak point.
That is where I would be looking first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom