Indoor Energy Saving Light Bulbs Like the Dark Ages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
These bulbs are expensive, a pain to dispose of, and worst of all bloody useless.
Its like living in the Dark Ages, 240 volt 9 watt small screw golf ball cost about £7 each don't last 10.000 hours as claimed and are about as bright as a 25watt conventional bulb. Am I the only one who thinks we are being conned. :wallbash:

Agreed and who keeps receipts for light bulbs.
Its the dimness that irritates me, or the slow lighting up. You need to switch on and enter the room after 5 minutes.
But energy saving they say.
And why so many types. When I was a lad light bulbs were 40 60 and 100 watt. Now buying a light bulb is a real pain

Researchers think the conventional tungsten bulbs might make a comeback due to nanotechnology. They have found a way to increase efficiency beyond that of LEDs and CFLs.

The thing that irks me about energy saving lamps is the IR output which interferes with remote controls !

I use Tesco LED lamps. They're plenty bright and have a similar colour temperature to incandescent bulbs.

LED is the way forward, buy a decent set of branded bulbs and they are identical to standard bulbs. I have OSRAM cool yellow fitted throughout my place, are dimmable, use only 25% power and no difference in light output.

Can't see the problem, excellent fuel savers, we switch our landing light on, walk upstairs in the dark, and turn it off. Can't fault it, brilliant.

My Mrs. dislikes the light intensely , almost as intensely as the light itself!. My experience of tesco light bulbs ( the normal ones anyway ) is 100% bad experience. How they have the brass neck to state the life on them is beyond me. If I won the lottery I would devote a large amount of money to proving what a bunch of robbing ***** these people are.

There are 8760 hours in a year, multiply that by at least 3 and you have the length of time we have had our landing light on...with the same LED lamp. Well impressed.

Oh...it is an Ikea one.

Last edited:
Very impressed with our ikea LEDs, about 20 in the house for two years and no failures or deteriation in quality of light, however my local pub goes through the Chinese versions very quickly.

The way forward is back to tungsten. They've invented a a filament that gets round the problem of more heat per energy used than light ( the reason they had to go) They put a crystal around the filament that bounces the heat back in and allows it to return as light.

Energy savers are awful, we switched everything to LED a while back.

I had one LED light fail on me so far, something when bang and the plastic cover shot off and made a nice mark on the wall.

One downside is that a lot of illnesses will not be caught early, because even the missus looks healthy in low light conditions. Most people wake up and ignore their yellow skins, blaming the naff light :D

I never really turn the lights on. The TV lights the lounge enough.

For a boost we have LED up lighters in the floor behind the sofa that creates a nice ambience

I never really turn the lights on. The TV lights the lounge enough.

For a boost we have LED up lighters in the floor behind the sofa that creates a nice ambience

What...and walk around the rest of the house in the dark?

What...and walk around the rest of the house in the dark?

I cotch in the sofa all night. We have a large open plan room we mainly use for everyday. I don't see the point in lighting rooms I'm not using.

As is common in the EU, political will overcomes practical considerations such as suitability for purpose and collateral problems caused.

"Energy saving" lighting is a classic example. High cost, poor performance, toxic waste, and questionable whole life credentials all swept aside on a tide of green ignorance.

BTW, lots of LED lamps cause huge EMC issues - even ones from reputable manufacturers like Philips and Osram - so you can add that to the list of collateral damage too.

Same with Solar panels, nothing remotely green about them. If all these ecomentalists saw where they were made they would change their tune. Looks like Mordor.

There are 8760 hours in a year, multiply that by at least 3 and you have the length of time we have had our landing light on

Just curious, but why does your landing light stay on 24/7? :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom