Induction hobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have a Neff induction hob yeah ok I did fit it in but if you pull the draw out your never gonna touch anything hot , none of out stuff in the draw has never got in the slightest warm. Mine wired I the cables is right at the back so no way of the cable getting damaged or touched

As you can see in the photos there's a gap but not a major one, But I expect every manufacture has there own specs. I have just looked at mine and their spec is

Metal objects stored inside the drawer could become very hot due to the air recirculating from the hob ventilation system. If this occurs, an intermediate support is recommended.
Intermediate support: A wooden panel can be used (figure 3) or you may order a suitable accessory from our Technical Assistance Service.
Worktop: Must have a minimum thickness of 20 mm. The distance between the top of the working surface and the top of the drawer must be 65mm.

So on mine measuring the gap between the top of the worktop to the tray is 88mm but from the bottom of the worktop to the top of the draw its 52mm, Now the bottom of the hob drops lower so really there only about 25/30mm from the draw to the lowest part of the Hob

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
The top plate will get hot because a hot pan is sat on it.

The half pan thing would have to be a quick demo, the heat would soak through to the pan-less side of the circle.

Curry's Fitters, they are just lorry drivers that have been shown how to use a screwdriver. They were going to fit my new washing machine, but because the lead had to go through a hole, meaning the plug had to be cut off and a new plug fitted, they said no we cant do that, I said OK give me five minutes I will do it. No can't wait, then left the bloody thing in the middle of the kitchen, 70 kilos and I'm 75,,,very helpful. **** heads!!!

Those drawer inserts look very similar to mine.
This is the old ceramic hob, the depth of the new hob is 13mm more.
http://www.furniture-components.co.uk/products/d1682.pdf
Its 44 x 560 x 490

the Samsung hob is 57 x 560 x 490

Researching more hobs today, many say drawers shouldn't be underneath, unless something separates the things in the draw, and most say the units get hot.
I've found other reports of people with Samsung hobs having the same dilemma as myself, to be pretty much told the same things as most on here say.

Curry's Fitters, they are just lorry drivers that have been shown how to use a screwdriver.

I actually almost pissed myself

It's such a common layout that drawer packs are designed to have sufficient clearance for a hob fitted above them but perhaps induction hobs are a special case. I've just fitted a gas hob above an 800 mm cutlery drawer and they thoughtfully made the top drawer shallower front to back than the lower drawers to allow room for the gas connection.

We had a Samsung Induction Hob installed 5 years ago now in a new kitchen.

It has a heat shield above our cutlery draw which is a metal panel, which is below the Hob.

Although as said, the Induction Hob produces no heat, heat is produced as a result of cooking and it can get rather warm underneath.

I can only assume it could be a fire hazard potentially in the worst case scenario as we have plastic cutlery trays in the drawer.

There are no wires under our hob except for the mains cable to it which runs down the back of the drawers which gets nowhere near the drawers.

I cannot think of any other reason why you would need a plate though.

So your hob has some sort of heat shield John, or is it something which was additionally added?

I've done more reading, and no drawer under hob seems to be a common thing, yet no one seems to have problems, and most replies are you won't have a problem.
I would like to think if those folks who went ahead and installed, would have revisited and said if they'd had a problem.

The whole thing is pissing me off to be perfectly honest, and it seems pointless returning the hob for another, because chances are, it will say no installation over cutlery drawer also.

I might go back and talk to the kitchen company who supplied me with their electrician's number tomorrow.
I do know they don't do Samsung(as he said to me on the phone today), but I really don't care which brand I get, so long as its decent/well known.

When you say rather warm, is the cutlery underneath quite warm?

The Heat Shield is separate from the hob - I think (struggling to remember now) it came with the kitchen as we specified to Ikea that we would be fitting said Hob in there.

Yes, the cutlery drawer does get "comfortably" warm during cooking and the shield hotter.

However, it's nowhere near warm enough to burn you so I guess it is purely a precaution and the crap outfit (generally speaking) you are using are obviously wishing to devoid themselves of any responsibility (understandably).

Here are a couple of pics of what we have.

One from underneath (as you can see it doesn't stretch right the way across the depth of the aperture for the hob).

Underneath.jpg

Second one below featuring the worktop is made up of the following layers:

Worktop
Cream colour - metal edge of the Hob
Gap (about half an inch)
Heat Shield
Gap (about and inch and a half)
Cutlery Trays

Heat Shield.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

Have decided not to proceed with Samsung hob.
Have ordered a Neff induction hob(T36FB40X0), which says it can be installed over the drawer, and since Curry's have pissed me off, its not coming from them

I have two induction hobs in my kitchen with drawers underneath both. Been installed for 12 years with no problem and have never noticed any warmth in or around the drawers at all. Both were fitted by a professional electrician.
I should say they (bosch) are totally brilliant compared to the slow and unresponsive ceramic type. Would not have anything else.

My thinking is two fold, Samsung say it can't be fitted above the drawer, and secondly if something went faulty with it, I would imagine I would be told it was fitted incorrectly and warranty would be null.
My old Neff ceramic hob was faultless for 8 years, and my other cooking appliances are Neff, plus Neff instructions say it can be installed above the drawer

My thinking is two fold, Samsung say it can't be fitted above the drawer, and secondly if something went faulty with it, I would imagine I would be told it was fitted incorrectly and warranty would be null.
My old Neff ceramic hob was faultless for 8 years, and my other cooking appliances are Neff, plus Neff instructions say it can be installed above the drawer

e-Neff said. :thumb:

OT but how do people like these hobs?

I'm a bit disappointed in mine, if the surface isn't completely spotless the hob does a spaz and shows up error codes.

We’ve had one for 3 Months now and definitely prefer it to ceramic. Much quicker heat up time and faster to respond to change of heat setting.

Just try cleaning it once in a while. :p

We’ve had one for 3 Months now and definitely prefer it to ceramic. Much quicker heat up time and faster to respond to change of heat setting.

Just try cleaning it once in a while. :p
I knew someone would pick up on that!

It is clean but I have to polish it with bloody furniture spray some days just to make it work. It's playing a dangerous game getting between me and a bacon sandwich.

I knew someone would pick up on that!

It is clean but I have to polish it with bloody furniture spray some days just to make it work. It's playing a dangerous game getting between me and a bacon sandwich.

Furniture polish and an electric job don’t go hand in hand. I’m surprised you don’t get a smell when it heats up.

I suspect the hob is faulty if it’s that temperamental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom