Inflatable Kayaks & Canoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Medical condition prior to the act maybe...looked pretty healthy though.

Just a good reminder to have a back up for all safety measures. That's redundancy working for you instead of against you. :):)

Ankle comming right...?

Yes! Those and the Naiad are first class, beautiful peices of design & engineering.

You jest about not being on a programme:

So Her aunt turned 90 in June this year and all her family turned up for her birthday, mark the big day and all that.. So her cousin, drives "Up Narf" to meet us and bring the rest of the Family. The cousin is a bit of an unsettled soul, likes adventure (without preparation) Does the canoeing bit, mountaineering etc etc.. bit doesn't tell a soul what he's doing, just up and off, likes the "Lone Wolf" aspect of it.. so we have a great day, bundle of laughs etc etc..

So, we're at our evening meal weeks after they have returned home, long gone.. the local news is on TV, this & that.. then there's a story about two climbers lost 3rd highest mountain in Scotland, no phones, thermal blankets and that's it - In Summer Gear only! They go on to say that the rescue services were called out and found them and another couple in the nick of time... they pan over to the climbers who are all apologetic, and rather sheepish.. but there's a familiarity to one of the voices.. Er'indoors recognizes this..but can't quite place him as he's fully bearded now..and a bit unkempt. I look up and.. OMG!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Its him, the cousin.. on TV for all the wrong reasons.. and the Scottish reporter is having a pop at them for the stupidity, and lack of gear and how it just started out as "A walk in the hillsides.."
Needless to say he hasn't lived it down and will probably do it again.. Cupid Stunt! :thumb:

Chris,
Reading the encouraging replies, I may have been alone on suggesting that with inadequate training and experience for both you and your good lady, it would be a disaster in the making for an imminent escapade on the high seas. However if floating about on the sea is what you would like to do, then there is plenty of time to get good training and experience for a session next year, whilst whistling the theme tune to Captain Pugwash as you take to the sea.
Porthkidney ( from your window ) looks idyllic, such a nice colour sea compared to the harsh grey North Sea that washes up on Leven Beach. Just up the road from you at Newquay I have been shark fishing, and lots of Turbot off the rocks at Porth, but that now was a long time ago. With arthritic knees I would now not dare even contemplate going out on a boat. I cannot even stand for long, so that rules out fishing even though I have kit here. Some time ago I did go to Anstruther harbour and like your Mum, ( impressive to find a female that likes fishing ) caught Coalfish, but they were certainly not record breakers. I can bore everyone witless with fishing tales over the years, especially on my mates boat "Its a Wreck" with its 5hp British Anzani motor pop,pop, popping along. Almost everything on the boat came out of his scrapyard. Windows, seats, lights, wipers, batteries and even a reconstructed roll cage formed the front rails. Stranded in the Thames estuary one night when the tide went out, out came the camping stove and we just cooked sausages, bacon and eggs and waited for the water to refloat us. We managed to hole the boat on the beach at Brighton which caused a rapid return to shore, the baling bucket working overtime, and then repairing it with a tin of P40, and back out again. Almost Swallows and Amazons stuff. Ken was a banger racer and he towed the boat with a big old Westminster which as I recall had lots of play in the steering, and which I got to drive at times when he got tired. On a Brighton to Northampton trip we came up the A23 and cut straight through London. He took no prisoners driving with the boat on the back through London. Frightening ride sitting next to a banger racing maniac! Clovelly tales another time, much to all the readers relief !
I have just had a look for that book I mentioned, but it might be up in Scotland as I would have posted it to you had it been here.
Do enjoy your Cornish break, I am sure you will find lots to do.

Steve.

You have some great stories. Do you keep a diary? Or write a blog? Shame to lose all those memories.

Stranded in the Thames estuary one night when the tide went out, out came the camping stove and we just cooked sausages, bacon and eggs and waited for the water to refloat us.

I saw this lifeboat and thought of you Steve. Beautiful lines I thought. A long way from the row powered lifeboats braving all weathers. You strike me as the type of guy who would have volunteered for that type of thing.

DSCF0098.jpg

Storm Rider, Shannon-class lifeboat

Messages Image(616047609).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris,
Not been about much as my dog has been unwell after surgery but he seems on the mend now, also now back in Fife.
Firstly, sad news about the missing kayaker ... Body found in search for missing kayaker
A body was found on the 7th October....despite best efforts by search and rescue.

A search was carried out using an aeroplane, helicopter, four coastguard rescue teams and three lifeboats.

Dorset Police said a body was found alongside a kayak 22 miles from the shore on Sunday afternoon.

Organisers raised the alarm at 13:45 on Saturday when Mr Collier did not complete the race from Knoll Beach to Swanage Pier, prompting a large-scale search of the coast.

Coastguard helicopters continued looking for him overnight and a coastguard fixed-wing aircraft was brought in on Sunday morning as the search area widened.

Police said the aircraft found the body, which was recovered from the sea by the warship HMS Tyne.

_103750545_mediaitem103749694.jpg
Image copyrightENTTAUSCHT
Image captionThe race started at Knoll Beach in Dorset

Chris.. I keep no diaries or blogs of my tales, they are just locked inside my head. But I am sure most folks have tales to tell, just a matter of getting them to recall them. I often find that people soon get bored of my tales of the past, often because in reality, they are quite boring.
I have to say that Lifeboat is a real beauty, and the RNLI is one of the few charities I do not mind supporting. I feel even more obliged to support the lifeboats when I am up here in Leven, being next to the sea. I even have a HF radio with 2182 in the memory, just to listen out for any International distress calls. Despite living for most of my life so far central from any sea, it surprises me that I have such a strange affinity / respect with it. Despite being out in some bad storms, to date I have never been sick.
Which reminds me of a day trip that my g/f and I made from Corfu to the Islands of Paxos and AntiPaxos. We were on the way back home and we sitting opposite a German family, the male family member who was very loud, and was telling us where he had sailed to .. blah blah.blah. Now the weather had changed and had gotton a bit bumpy, up and down up and down, and the Germans were stating to look a bit green. Now my G/F makes a cracking sandwich, and there was some egg, tomato and salad cream ones left, which I had saved as they are my favourite. So, I pulled one out of the tin foil and started munching, whether it was the salad cream oozing out,who knows, but the next moment the family were puking everywhere, deck hands came with sick bags, but too late, the cabin floor was awash. I just kept on eating, not concerned about their weak stomachs.
Now everyone is asleep ............

Steve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom