Info needed concerning front coil springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAD300

Car
87' 300E Turbo
Ok guys, looking @ the front springs. My car has been lowered but, I can't tell whether springs have been cut or not? I have never seen a stock spring out of these cars. I have seen other makes that look simply cut, then powder-coated.

Can anyone tell me what the low-side coil looks like pls? ie: is it bent up closer to other coils or simply running in a downward scroll like all other coils? My springs aren't coated either, simply dirty steal.

In the W124 SERIES the upper end of the spring that the spring pad "threads on to " is ground flat- however the lower end just terminates as a straight "cut off " of the spiral. The "tail " sits in a specially shaped recess in the lower suspension arm.

Last edited:
Thanks heaps! I noticed the recessed control arm section & that prompted my question. So basically, unless you measure the height of springs against a stock set, you wouldn't know?

In that case, I may just get them sandblasted & powder-coated so they look the part if they are checked by engineer or authorities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom