Info on buying a US 1999 300E Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kasparj

Car
97 Ford F350 Powerstock, chipped
I'm gonna buy a MB diesel sometime soon when my gas munching Jeep Grand Cherokee dies. Been looking at a 99 300E. MB stopped sending them to the US in 99 to keep their image up. Bunch of Rodneys (is that correct to say in UK lingo)?

I love diesels and own a big ass Ford F350 pickup with a 7.3 liter diesel. Started out with 225 hp and now its at 325 hp at the engine.

Any way, seems like you people in the UK seem a bit more daring that the people on the US BenzForum.com. Gee, posted asking if anyone has chipped a 300E... lot of looks no answers. More concerned about what type of oil and wax to use.

Can anyone tell me what I should look out for when looking for one of these. Any problem area other than the owners and dealers I should know about.

Aside from that. Was in the UK about 4 years ago. Got outside the city limits and floored the rental. Not too fast 100-110 mph. Saw the police, I waved and motored on. decided to get a cup a tea at a shop along the motor way. When I came out the police were parked behind my rental. Officer asked how I was doing and I said great just enjoying England. Told me it took him 5 miles to catch me here. I'm thinking to myself is there a point to this. He asked me how fast I was going, I said about 100. He said the speed limit was 70 or something like that and told him the last time I was here there was no speed limit outside the city limits.....WRONG. Let me off since I was on my way to see the RAF.
Nice country you guys have.

Welcome to the forum. Yes we like big diesels over here as well.

For details of chipping engines see some recent threads in the "Engine Section" mate. Happy Chipping.:D :D

Brian:
Thanks, saw that thread. Appears VW Tdi ECU may have some similarities to MB ECU's. May have to come to the UK to reseach chips and the lot.

The good news is that Mercedes will again offer a diesel to the US in 2004; the E320 CDI. It is faster than the gasoline E320, the E320 CDI makes 201 horsepower and a E500 trouncing 369 lb-ft while achieving 32.2 mpg in the European cycle. :bannana:

Originally posted by kasparj
Bunch of Rodneys (is that correct to say in UK lingo)?

Spot on. The sort of phrase I would use myself!

I have a colleague over from Houston, USA this week and he keeps say "Bugger that" now I have taught him it!

We have quite a few people from the UK where I work. The most colorful lady is Welsh. I'm trying to incorporate words like knackered and nil into my US speech.
My wife is doing well in her business, may have to suck her account dry for the MB purchase.
Please have a Bounty Bar and tea for me.

Please have a Bounty Bar and tea for me.

heh, i'm reminded of a wee scottish joke:

bloke goes to the doctors.
"Doctor, ma armpits smell of coconut."
Doctor replies, "ahh, they're bounty!" :D

I'm gonna buy a MB diesel sometime soon when my gas munching Jeep Grand Cherokee dies. Been looking at a 99 300E. MB stopped sending them to the US in 99 to keep their image up. Bunch of Rodneys (is that correct to say in UK lingo)?

Can anyone tell me what I should look out for when looking for one of these. Any problem area other than the owners and dealers I should know about.

The 300Turbo gives about 200 + bhp when chipped and a lot of torque.
I've not done it as the car goes ok anyway and insurance companies get really jumpy.

There are no real issues with the mechanicals so just make sure the car has been serviced and drives smoothly.

I agree with you about MB US being Namby Pamby about diesels but your fuel is so shitty it shouldn't really go in a nice diesel as it gives them a bad name.
Really though there is a problem with the CDi engines and the high sulpher content in US diesel causing blocked injectors and catalytic converters.
Also there isn't much demand even though the US used to be the largest market for MB diesels in the '80s. How many W123 300D and S350D do you see?

Re: Re: Info on buying a US 1999 300E Diesel

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
I have a colleague over from Houston, USA this week and he keeps say "Bugger that" now I have taught him it!

You'd better make sure he knows what it means or he might be in for a big surprise, especially if he goes to Brighton.;)

What exactly have you taught him?

Originally posted by Limited Edition
The good news is that Mercedes will again offer a diesel to the US in 2004; the E320 CDI. It is faster than the gasoline E320, the E320 CDI makes 201 horsepower and a E500 trouncing 369 lb-ft while achieving 32.2 mpg in the European cycle. :bannana:

See Below.:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Its a small world Kasparj! , I live in Southlake just 30 minutes away from you (or at least I do until Thursday when we fly back home to the UK after 2 years out here).

Also had (until last week) a Grand Chrokee Jeep which I have to say I really liked ... but 16mpg , small UK roads and parking bays together with my crap parking skills suggested it was time for a change.... to a Mercedes of course.

Currently saying to myself 10 times every morning "I cannot turn right on a red light anymore.... I cannot turn right on a red light anymore.....have to watch out for the bloody traffic cameras....have to watch out for the bloody traffic cameras...

ps Kroegers now sell UK chocolate so you do not have to wait to get that Bounty bar (but forget your Texan cold tea! yeuch)

ps if you want to really confuse people stateside use the expression "fortnight" or "jumper"

Aside from that. Was in the UK about 4 years ago. Got outside the city limits and floored the rental. Not too fast 100-110 mph. Saw the police, I waved and motored on. decided to get a cup a tea at a shop along the motor way. When I came out the police were parked behind my rental. Officer asked how I was doing and I said great just enjoying England. Told me it took him 5 miles to catch me here. I'm thinking to myself is there a point to this. He asked me how fast I was going, I said about 100. He said the speed limit was 70 or something like that and told him the last time I was here there was no speed limit outside the city limits.....WRONG. Let me off since I was on my way to see the RAF.
Nice country you guys have.

Hmm , i need to practice my American accent. Having said that , when i was in america in my Deville , i liked nothing better than to floor it away from the Toll Booth :D 300 bhp makes the front tyres squeel like hell. hehehe . And the noise. :D

I can't understand why you have a diesel with the price of Gas in the US. Fair enough in the UK where we are now talking about $4.52 for a US Gallon of Gas. You guys are about half that . The noise off a V8 againsed the noise off a Clanky diesel ?? I don't care who makes the diesel , it still sounds like a taxi.( those of you that have diesels , i have one too , so , im not slagging them off and i know what im talking about ) Those big block engines is superb. I would have a Cobra SVT just to rev it up at the weekends :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

BrianDrought:

BookMarked that site. Thanks.

Why would anyone want a diesel when gas is so cheap in the states? First I would never by a petrol powered truck, I can always pull more with diesel and for about 1000 dollars I can add perfomance gains up to 40%. Try that with petrol. second, I'm a cheap bastard, I pay less for fuel becasue of mpg and the egine last longer without those silly plugs/rotors and caps.

There is total satisfaction when you take a MB diesel add a chip and straight pipe it and get excellent performance. It suprises quite a few gas powered owners. It's the torque baby... that's where the power is in the US.

The diesel in the US is lower in sulphur than years ago, but the quality does not come up to Euro standards.

Life to short to live in Dallas and use petrol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom