Info on W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fnkhan68

Car
1993 Mercedes 320e and 2000 BMW E39 523i
I know this model has been covered before but i am looking for specific information for the E200 model. My current run around is a BMW E39 520i but I found that the boot is not big enough to accomodate other things once the pushchair is in there and i know the W210 has a massive boot.
I do mainly town driving and due to having a modest budget, will not consider the CDi models however i have seen facelift 210's for 2k or under which is the price i am looking at.
What i would like to know is how reasonable is the fuel consumption on an
E200 and is an auto or manual best suited to a smaller engine as i have seen some with manual gear boxes? Also at some point a kompressor version came out, how does that compare to a standard E200? Finally where the engines tweaked by MB on the 200's to give out extra power?

I had a W210 E200 Classic Manual from new (Jan 1998 - Feb 2001). I covered 90K miles. It was not as underpowered as you would think, but needed some spirited driving to get any performance.

This resulted in an average fuel consuption of about 27-28 mpg.

It was very reliable, the only fault was the driver's electric window.

I loved the car, but soon got over it, it was replaced by a W210 E300TD.

The E300TD is the vehicle I would recommend if your budget is limited. Fuel consumption is better than the E200, performance is in a different league. I would be too worried about it not being face-lifted, the most important thing to look for in a W210 is a rust-free example. Age does not seem to matter. Some rust like mad, others less so. I don't know why.

Boot in my 201 is smaller than wifes 203 boot as fuel tank is also in the 210 boot behind the rear seat.
Have a look first you will be dissapointed.

Lynall

Boot in my 201 is smaller than wifes 203 boot as fuel tank is also in the 210 boot behind the rear seat.
Have a look first you will be dissapointed.

Lynall

You have a 190?:D

The face lift cars had a 6 speed manual box and a 163 bhp engine , we get 27 28 mpg on short runs and 33 34 mpg on a long journey .

We bought an e200 auto new in 1998.

Too sluggish by far you end up booting it to get it to move. If you're used to the torque of the beemer you will be disappointed. For an auto, go e230 or 240, dont look at consumption figures, real world driving is all that counts...

I have seen the boot on a W210, its very big in comparison!!! My beemer is no rocket ship as it is only 1991cc engine however it happens to be a straight six so i guess the 2 extra cylinders make a difference however i dont drive fast anymore and therefore not looking for performance but more economy on a petrol engine W210.

the most important thing to look for in a W210 is a rust-free example. Age does not seem to matter. Some rust like mad, others less so. I don't know why.
I am led to believe that the metallic ones are the worst for rust. Having seen both solid and metallic colours, the metallic ones are poor.

My Dad has a 97 E230 W210 (non Kompressor) and thats extremely slow, cant imagine how sluggish the E200 is with that large body?

The none kompressor E200 would be sluggish , but the kompressor engine is not to bad , consider it makes 163 bhp , and the 240 (2.6 engine ) only makes 7 bhp more , that not alot of difference .

I have seen the boot on a W210, its very big in comparison!!! My beemer is no rocket ship as it is only 1991cc engine however it happens to be a straight six so i guess the 2 extra cylinders make a difference however i dont drive fast anymore and therefore not looking for performance but more economy on a petrol engine W210.

And if its a multivalve it'll have 150 bhp.

What about an estate, the boot is vast.

And if its a multivalve it'll have 150 bhp.

What about an estate, the boot is vast.

I have to admit the E39 BMW series is a quality drivers car and i cannot explain why but I want to go back to a Merc!!! The build quality especially the bodywork and paint is miles ahead of Mercs of the same era but I guess I prefer the MB brand.

Dont want an estate, Mrs hates them so I cant have one even though they are very practical!!!

If you have kids then you just need to bite the bullet and buy an estate. Buy an older w124 in reasonable condition and it will hardly depreciate. Keep the e39; thats not worth a lot anyway.

Quick google reveals boot volumes of,
E39 520 litres
W210 521 litres
W203 480 litres

Lynall

I have to admit the E39 BMW series is a quality drivers car and i cannot explain why but I want to go back to a Merc!!! The build quality especially the bodywork and paint is miles ahead of Mercs of the same era but I guess I prefer the MB brand.

Dont want an estate, Mrs hates them so I cant have one even though they are very practical!!!

my neigbors e39 is a rust bucket.. light blue greeninsh colour.. must at elast 5x more rusted than mine...i think that all the exhasut brackets are ****ed as it was tocuhing the floor when i last pulled out yesterday... his is a 535 2002.... he wanted my CLK230.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom