INFO W124 dog leg trim removl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
Hi .I need to remove the moulding from the bottom of the rear wheel arch .A small rust patch needs work.And this is the part i need to remove .Looking at it it has this bolt in the bottom ,but nothing else .As these are a few years old i dont want to brake it . Information is the best way to go .

Last edited:
As you say. A single self tapping bolt in the bottom and a Reds fastener half way up on the inside. That fastener will probably break when you try to remove it. With the screw out of the bottom you may be able to rotate it out the way to enable you to do what needs doing. Otherwise call main dealer and ask for the fastener using the trim as a reference. My recent fasteners have all cost about £1.00 each from Merc.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Good one Bruce .I will have a go at removing it. Need it off to see whats to be done.Looking at the side of the moulding the metal looks good . Dont know if i should buy a replacment arch ,to cut the bit from .Or just to put a piece of fibre mat at the rear anf fill it from the front with fibreglass .Any info? But i dont know if i would be happy with the end remedy.

When I undid the bottom screw on mine it was absolutely solid with crud in there. But no rust. A previous owner had treated behind all the trims with some kind of mastic (we think possibly from new). I then started removing all the trim and pretty much the same.

When my car was re-sprayed (full bare metal) all the rim came came off. All the clips were available from Mercedes but be careful, some are "sided" L, R and some are also different front & rear.

Maidstone Mercedes Parts did well here. They took time to go through the whole lot with me and the post them out as a bundle. The small bump strips behind the rear door and before the wheel arch are sided and the front bump strips are not the same and also sided. The doors were all the same IIRC.

TIP: If you need two? by three etc. You will break some. The whole car (with spares)came to about £20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom